UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell to Penn State, 7-0, Friday afternoon at the Sarni Tennis Center.
Iowa (4-8, 4-6) started the match, dropping the doubles point to the Nittany Lions with losses on courts two (6-3) and three (6-2). The sixth-ranked duo of Oliver Okonkwo/Will Davies match against Charl Morgan/Tim Ruetzel at No. 1 went unfinished with the score level at 4-4.
Penn State (3-6, 3-6) swept all six singles matches. Davies, Okonkwo, and Joe Tyler all stretched their respective matches to three sets, but ultimately lost. Davies competed at No. 2 for the first time in his four-year career. Kareem Allaf, Jason Kerst, and Rudra Dixit lost in straight sets on courts one, five, and six, respectively.
Iowa returns to action on Sunday at 11 am. (CT) against No. 16 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, at the Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center.
Penn State 7, Iowa 0
March 26, 2021 | 4 p.m. (ET) | University Park, Pa. | Sarni Tennis Center
1. Christian Lakoseljac (PSU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-3, 6-4
2. Bora Sengul (PSU) def. Will Davies (UI): 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Miko Eala (PSU) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Christos Antonopoulo (PSU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
5. Tim Ruetzel (PSU) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 7-5, 7-6
6. Alp Sentay (PSU) def. Rudra Dixit (UI): 6-3, 6-3
1. Morgan/Ruetzel (PSU) vs. #6 Okonkwo/Davies (UI): 4-4 uf
2. Lakoseljac/Antonopoulo (PSU) def. Allaf/Snezhko (UI): 6-3
3. Bossem/Eala (PSU) def. Alam/Tyler (UI): 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,3,4,2,5,6)