Columbus, Ohio — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost at No. 16 Ohio State, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Ty Tucker Tennis Complex.
Iowa (4-9, 4-7) started the match, dropping the doubles point to the nationally-ranked Buckeyes with setbacks on courts one and three. The duo of Kareem Allaf/Will Davies lost to the 47th-ranked tandem of Ohio State at No. 1, while the pairing of Peter Alam/Joe Tyler fell by the score of 6-1 at No. 3. Oliver Okonkwo/Nikita Snezhko’s match was abandoned at 5-5 once the doubles point was clinched.
Ohio State (13-2, 9-1) won five of the six singles matches. Allaf, Davies, Snezhko, and Rudra Dixit each lost in straight sets to nationally ranked foes. The lone winner for the Hawkeyes was Okonkwo on court four against 112th-ranked Kyle Seelig in a three-set tiebreaker 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7). The win was Okonkwo’s first over a ranked opponent this season and third of his career.
Iowa returns to action next Sunday against Nebraska at noon (CT) in Lincoln, Nebraska.
#16 Ohio State 6, Iowa 1
March 28, 2021 | Noon (ET) | Columbus, Ohio | Ty Tucker Tennis Center
1. #23 John McNally (OSU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-2, 6-4
2. #19 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Will Davies (UI): 6-1, 7-6
3. James Trotter (OSU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-2, 6-2
4. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. #112 Kyle Seelig (OSU): 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. #88 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Nikita Snezhko (UI): 6-3, 6-0
6. #106 Robert Cash (OSU) def. Rudra Dixit (UI): 6-2, 6-0
1. #47 McNally/Cash (OSU) def. Allaf/Davies (UI): 6-4
2. Boulais/Trotter (OSU) vs. Okonkwo/Snezhko (UI): 5-5, unfinished
3. Tracy/Kingsley (OSU) def. Alam/Tyler (UI): 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,6,1,4,2)