Madison, Wis. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team won the top four singles matches in a 4-3 victory over Wisconsin on Friday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium to complete the season sweep over the Badgers.
Iowa’s top four singles players earned victories: Kareem Allaf, Oliver Okonkwo, Joe Tyler, and Will Davies. Tyler got the Hawkeyes on the board first with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court three. Allaf followed with a three-set victory at No. 1 for his 95th career singles victory. With Wisconsin (4-12, 4-11) leading by one, Okonkwo grinded out a 7-5, 7-6 win on court two to level the match. As has been the case numerous times over Davies’ four-year career, the match was on the racquet of the senior in a third set. After dropping the first set, Davies rallied to win 6-4, 7-6(5) for his 18th career three-set triumph.
The doubles team of Allaf/Davies won on court one, 6-3, which earned Davies his 71st career doubles victory to tie the school all-time wins record established by Will Vasos (2002-12). Allaf’s singles and doubles wins on Friday extended his school all-time wins record to 164. The Hawkeyes dropped matches on courts two (6-4) and three (6-3).
Iowa (5-12, 5-10) returns to action Sunday at noon against Minnesota at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Iowa 4, Wisconsin 3
April 16, 2021 | 3 p.m. | Madison, Wisconsin | Nielsen Tennis Stadium
1. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Jared Pratt (WIS): 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Lenard Soha (WIS): 7-6(3), 7-5
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Robin Parts (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Jesper Freimuth (WIS): 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(5)
5. Mihailo Popovic (WIS) def. Nikita Snezhko (UI): 6-2, 6-4
6. Robert Krill (WIS) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-4, 6-2
1. Allaf/Davies (UI) def. Pratt/Parts (WIS): 6-3
2. Soha/Freimuth (WIS) def. Okonkwo/Tyler (UI): 6-4
3. Dzhurinskiy/Popovic (WIS) def. Snezhko/Dixit (UI): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,1,6,2,4)