Lincoln, Nebraska — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell to Michigan State, 4-2, on Thursday in the first round of the Big Ten Championships held at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center.
Iowa (5-13) opened the match by winning the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. The freshmen tandem of Rudra Dixit/Peter Alam bounced the 68th-ranked team of Nick Williams/Kazuki Matsuno on court two, 7-5. Oliver Okonkwo/Nikita Snezhko then defeated Anthony Pero/Luke Baylis at No. 3 by the same score, 7-5. Kareem Allaf/Will Davies were edged, 7-5, on court one.
Okonkwo recorded the lone singles victory for the Hawkeyes from junior Oliver Okonkwo at No. 2 over Carson Gates in straight sets 7-6(5), 6-1. Michigan State (6-13) notched wins at No. 1, No. 3, No. 5, and No. 6 to clinch the match. Senior Jason Kerst’s match on court four was heading to a third set before being abandoned once Michigan State won the match.
Michigan State 4, Iowa 2
April 29, 2021 | 10 a.m. | Lincoln, Nebraska | Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center
1. Nick Williams (MSU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 7-6(4), 6-2
2. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Carson Gates (MSU): 7-6(5), 6-1
3. Josh Mukherjee (MSU) def. Will Davies (UI): 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Jason Kerst (UI) vs. Anthony Pero (MSU): 6-4, 5-7, unfinished
5. Graydon Lair (MSU) def. Peter Alam (UI): 6-4, 6-4
6. Luke Baylis (MSU) def. Nikita Snezhko (UI): 6-2, 6-3
1. Keene/Campbell (MSU) def. Allaf/Davies (UI): 7-5
2. Alam/Dixit (UI) def. #68 Williams/Matsuno (MSU): 7-5
3. Okonkwo/Snezhko (UI) def. Pero/Baylis (MSU): 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,1,2,3)