Iowa Names Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Staff

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa Athletics Department has named Lorenda Holston as Assistant Athletics Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. In addition, Anthony Embry has been named to the newly created position of Athletics Academic and Diversity Coordinator. The announcements were made Tuesday by UI Athletics.

“We are excited to announce Lorenda and Anthony have joined our staff,” said Liz Tovar, senior associate athletics director, student-athlete academic services, and the UI’s executive officer and associate vice president of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. “These additions to our staff enhance our overall campus and athletics department commitment to DEI, while working with our student-athletes and staff as we continue to move forward with increased staffing and resources in this critical area.”

Holston joins the Iowa staff from Purdue University, where she served as Student-Athlete Development Associate since August, 2021. She previously served in the position of Academic Support Coordinator at Georgia Tech.

Holston was a track & field student-athlete at Colorado State University. She moved into support services upon graduation, initially as a student-athlete support services intern. She also served as a graduate assistant for Diversity and Inclusion within the CSU athletics department. While a student-athlete, Holston earned All-America honors and broke the school record in the 60-meter hurdles, holding the program record at 8.06.

Holston, a native of Riverdale, Georgia, graduated from CSU with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Studies and a minor in Sociology. She earned her master’s degree in Student Affairs in Higher Education, also from CSU.

Embry joins the Iowa staff from Coastal Carolina University, where he served as an Academic Advisor with football and women’s lacrosse. He previously was an Academic Advisor/Learning Specialist at the University of Portland. Embry also worked as an assistant in Student Services at Eastern Illinois.

Embry previously served as a teacher, football coach, and athletic director at West Broward Academy in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Embry earned both his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in Sports Administration from Belhaven University in Jackson, Mississippi. He was a four-year varsity football letterwinner and earned All-America distinction at Belhaven as an undergraduate. He ranks second in school history in receiving yards and third in career receptions.

Embry is a native of Bartow, Florida. His wife’s name is Charletta.