ESTERO, Florida – The fifth-ranked Iowa women’s basketball team advanced to the Semifinals of the Gulf Coast Showcase after defeating Purdue-Fort Wayne, 98-59, on Friday night inside Hertz Arena.
All-American Caitlin Clark led scoring with 29 points bucketing 19 points in the first half. Sharon Goodman followed with 16, and Hannah Stuelke added 13 points and eight rebounds.
Gabbie Marshall sunk two threes, and Goodman went 3-for-3 from the field in the first quarter to aid the Hawkeyes in the early lead. Iowa was able to maintain the lead in the first half to head into halftime with a 52-36, advantage.
Clark started off the second half with two quick threes in the first minute of the second half to force Purdue-Fort Wayne to call a timeout. The Hawkeyes only gave up six points in the third quarter closing it out on a 10-0 run.
Sydney Affolter played valuable minutes recording nine rebounds and seven points. Iowa recorded 22 assists on 35 baskets, and all Hawkeyes that were available entered tonight’s contest.
Kate Martin was a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor. Martin had nine points, five rebounds, three assists, and three blocks. The three blocks tied her career best.
– Caitlin Clark recorded 29 points (8-13 FG, 6-9 3 FG), eight assists, three rebounds, and three steals.
– Gabbie Marshall became the first Iowa women’s basketball player to record 200 3-pointers and 200 steals in a career.
– Clark’s six assists in the first quarter ties for second-most by an individual in a quarter in Iowa WBB history. It marks the fifth time in her career she has recorded six or more assists in a quarter.
– Clark recorded a season-high six 3-pointers made.
– Clark has netted a 3-point basket in 64 consecutive games which is an NCAA-best.
– Lisa Bluder is one win shy of 500 career wins at the University of Iowa.
– Sharon Goodman recorded her second-highest point total of the season. (16)
– Goodman has shot 60%+ from the floor in five out of six games this year.
– Hannah Stuelke has netted double figures in four out of six games this season.
– Kate Martin was a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor. Martin had nine points, five rebounds, three assists, and three blocks.
– Martin ties her career high for blocks in a game stating three.
– Stuelke nearly reached her first double-double of the season with 13 points and eight rebounds.
– Since the start of the 2020-21 season, the Hawkeyes offense has scored 80+ points on 82 occasions which is the most nationally.
– The Hawkeyes have scored 90+ points on 39 occasions which is also an NCAA-best since 2020-21.
QUOTING P. SUE BECKWITH, MD, HEAD COACH LISA BLUDER
“I thought we shot the ball well tonight. Our fans traveling to support us was huge and it really was Carver South. We’re looking forward to our challenge tomorrow night against Florida Gulf Coast.”
Make sure to follow Iowa women’s basketball on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@IowaWBB) for news and updates all season long.
The fifth-ranked Hawkeyes advance to the semifinals of the Gulf Coast Showcase taking on FGCU on Saturday. Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m. (CT) inside a Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida. The contest will air on FloHoops (subscription required) and the Hawkeye Radio Network.