STYLE OF PLAY
• PLAYING WITH PASSION AND A LOVE OF THE GAME
• PUSHING THE BALL AND AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKING THE BASKET
• SHARING THE BASKETBALL, FINDING THE OPEN TEAMMATE
• CHANGING DEFENSE AND DISRUPTING THE RHYTHM OF THE OPPONENTS
• SINKING THE OPEN 3-POINTER
• HELPING OUT TEAMMATES
“Players and fans enjoy our style of basketball. We play an up-tempo style, push the ball, attack the basket, and catch the defense off balance. We want to score in the 80's and 90's. Defensively, we change defenses and disrupt rhythm. Our players have fun and enjoy what they do on the floor."Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery
CONSIDER THESE FACTS
• Iowa has won three Big Ten Tournament championships, including winning four games in four days to raise the trophy in 2022 in Indianapolis.
• Iowa won 22 games combined over ranked opponents the last four seasons (2019-22).
• The Hawkeyes have led the league in scoring five of the last nine seasons, including the last four. Iowa has averaged 83+ points and ranked fifth nationally in scoring each of the last two seasons.
• Iowa has had a consensus first-team All-American each of the past three seasons: Luka Garza in 2020 and 2021, and Keegan Murray in 2022. Garza, a two-time national player of the year, is the only player in Big Ten history to amass 2,250+ points, 900+ rebounds, 150+ blocks and 100+ 3-pointers. Murray joined Texas’ Kevin Durant as the only players in Division I history to amass more than 800 points, 60 blocks, and 60 3-pointers in a season.
• The Hawkeyes have had the last three Big Ten scoring champions: Luka Garza in 2020 (26.2) and 2021 (21.9), and Keegan Murray in 2022 (23.5). Iowa is the first school to have a men’s basketball player lead the Big Ten in scoring three straight seasons since Purdue from 1968-70.
• Iowa has won 10 or more Big Ten games seven of the last eight seasons.
• Iowa has won 20 wins or more games in eight of the last 10 seasons and posted Big Ten upper division finishes nine of the last 10 years. Furthermore, the Hawkeyes have finished fifth or better six of the last eight seasons, including third place finishes in 2015, 2016 and 2021.
• Iowa shares the basketball, ranking second or better in the Big Ten in assists per game each of the past six seasons (2017-22), including ranking sixth or better nationally, four of the last six years. Iowa was tops in the country in assists per game (19.2) in 2021 and first in assist-to-turnover ratio each of the past two seasons (2.0 in 2021 and 1.74 in 2022).
• Connor McCaffery was the only player in Division I basketball in 2019-20 with 120+ assists and fewer than 30 turnovers. He also led the country in assist-to-turnover ratio (4.59). McCaffery, who is Iowa’s all-time leader in assist-to-turnover ratio, boasted a robust 5.0 ratio in 2022.
• Luka Garza (24.1) and Joe Wieskamp (14.8) combined to average 38.9 points per game, which was the fifth best scoring duo in the country in 2021, and second highest scoring tandem in school history. Keegan Murray (822) and Jordan Bohannon (395) combined for 1,217 points in 2022, becoming the third highest scoring duo in program history.