STYLE OF PLAY
• PLAYING WITH PASSION AND A LOVE OF THE GAME
• PUSHING THE BALL AND AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKING THE BASKET
• SHARING THE BASKETBALL, FINDING THE OPEN TEAMMATE
• CHANGING DEFENSE AND DISRUPTING THE RHYTHM OF THE OPPONENTS
• SINKING THE OPEN 3-POINTER
• HELPING OUT TEAMMATES
“Players and fans enjoy our style of basketball. We play an up-tempo style, push the ball, attack the basket, and catch the defense off balance. We want to score in the 80's and 90's. Defensively, we change defenses and disrupt rhythm. Our players have fun and enjoy what they do on the floor."Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery
CONSIDER THESE FACTS
• Iowa won a nation-best 15 games over ranked opponents the last two seasons (2020 & 2021).
• Iowa led the Big Ten in scoring offense, and ranked fifth nationally, in 2020-21; Iowa averaged 83.7 points per game last season, its highest scoring average in 32 years and highest by any McCaffery-coached team in 25 years. The Hawkeyes have led the conference in scoring four of the last eight seasons, including the last three years.
• The Hawkeyes have won 10 or more Big Ten games six of the last seven seasons.
• Iowa has won 20 wins or more games in seven of the last nine seasons and posted Big Ten upper division finishes eight of the last nine years. Furthermore, the Hawkeyes have finished fifth or better five of the last seven seasons, including third place finishes in 2015, 2016, 2021.
• Iowa shares the basketball, ranking second or better in the Big Ten in assists per game each of the past five seasons (2017-21), including ranking sixth or better nationally, four of the last five years. Iowa was tops in the country in assists per game (19.2) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.0) in 2021.
• 2021 Consensus National Player of the Year Luka Garza is the only player in Big Ten history to amass 2,250+ points, 900+ rebounds, 150+ blocked shots, and 100+ 3-pointers.
• Connor McCaffery was the only player in Division I basketball in 2019-20 with 120+ assists and fewer than 30 turnovers. He also led the country in assist-to-turnover ratio (4.59).
• Luka Garza (24.1) and Joe Wieskamp (14.8) combined to average 38.9 points per game, which was the fifth best scoring duo in the country in 2021, and second highest scoring tandem in school history.
• Iowa has had a player lead the Big Ten in free throw percentage three of the last four seasons: Jordan Bohannon in 2018 and 2019, and Joe Wieskamp in 2020.