STYLE OF PLAY
• PLAYING WITH PASSION AND A LOVE OF THE GAME
• PUSHING THE BALL AND AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKING THE BASKET
• SHARING THE BASKETBALL, FINDING THE OPEN TEAMMATE
• CHANGING DEFENSE AND DISRUPTING THE RHYTHM OF THE OPPONENTS
• SINKING THE OPEN 3-POINTER
• HELPING OUT TEAMMATES
“Players and fans enjoy our style of basketball. We play an up-tempo style, push the ball, attack the basket, and catch the defense off balance. We want to score in the 80's and 90's. Defensively, we change defenses and disrupt rhythm. Our players have fun and enjoy what they do on the floor."Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery
CONSIDER THESE FACTS
• Iowa has won three Big Ten Tournament championships, including winning four games in four days to raise the trophy in 2022 in Indianapolis.
• Iowa won 25 games combined over ranked opponents over the last five seasons (2019-23).
• The Hawkeyes have led the league in scoring six of the last 10 seasons, including the last five. Iowa averaged 83+ points and ranked fifth nationally in scoring in 2021 and 2022.
• Iowa has had a consensus All-American each of the past four seasons: Luka Garza in 2020 and 2021 (first team), Keegan Murray in 2022 (first team), and Kris Murray in 2023 (third team). Garza, a two-time national player of the year, is the only player in Big Ten history to amass 2,250+ points, 900+ rebounds, 150+ blocks and 100+ 3-pointers. Keegan Murray joined Texas’ Kevin Durant as the only players in Division I history to amass more than 800 points, 60 blocks, and 60 3-pointers in a season. Kris Murray was the only Division I player in 2023 to average 20+ points, 7+ rebounds, 1+ blocks and make 65+ 3-pointers.
• The Hawkeyes have had Big Ten scoring champions three of the last four seasons: Luka Garza in 2020 (26.2) and 2021 (21.9), and Keegan Murray in 2022 (23.5). Iowa became the first school to have a men’s basketball player lead the Big Ten in scoring three straight seasons since Purdue from 1968-70.
• Iowa has won 10 or more Big Ten games eight of the last nine seasons.
• Iowa has won 20 wins or more games in eight of the last 11 seasons and posted Big Ten upper division finishes 10 of the last 11 years. Furthermore, the Hawkeyes have finished fifth or better seven of the last nine seasons, including third place finishes in 2015, 2016 and 2021.
• Iowa shares the basketball, ranking second or better in the Big Ten in assists per game each of the past seven seasons (2017-23), including ranking sixth or better nationally, four of the last seven years. Iowa was tops in the country in assists per game (19.2) in 2021 and first in assist-to-turnover ratio two of the last three seasons (2.0 in 2021 and 1.74 in 2022).
• Connor McCaffery led the country in assist-to-turnover ratio in 2023 (3.9) and 2020 (4.59). He was the only player in Division I basketball in 2019-20 with 120+ assists and fewer than 30 turnovers. McCaffery is Iowa’s all-time leader in assist-to-turnover ratio and ranks second in NCAA history.
• Luka Garza (24.1) and Joe Wieskamp (14.8) combined to average 38.9 points per game, which was the fifth best scoring duo in the country in 2021, and second highest scoring tandem in school history. Keegan Murray (822) and Jordan Bohannon (395) combined for 1,217 points in 2022, becoming the third highest scoring duo in program history.