Hawkeyes Beat Up On Buffalo, 56-7

Sept 6, 2003

Stats?|? Photo Gallery

Associated Press Writer

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Nathan Chandler threw two touchdown passes and Iowa’s defense and special teams added scores in a 56-7 victory over Buffalo on Saturday.

The Hawkeyes (2-0) put the game away early, scoring touchdowns on their first four possessions and getting another when safety Sean Considine returned a fumble 11 yards for a touchdown. The flurry gave Iowa a 35-0 lead midway through the second quarter and sent most of its key starters to the bench.

Few things went right for Buffalo (0-2), which has lost 12 straight – the longest losing streak in college football. The Bulls, hurt by three turnovers, had 265 yards in total offense, but most came during mop up time in the second half.

Chandler, playing just four possessions, was 8-of-11 for 113 yards in his second career start. He also scored on a 1-yard run before being pulled midway through the second quarter. Running back Fred Russell ran for 98 yards on 12 carries and a touchdown as Iowa rushed for 270 yards.

Iowa allowed Buffalo to cross midfield once in the first half. But the Bulls scored late in the game when Aaron Leeper ran 2 yards for a touchdown, the first allowed by Iowa this season.

On the opening drive, Iowa marched 73 yards in 10 plays, capped Chandler’s 5-yard TD pass to receiver Ed Hinkel.

Iowa’s next touchdown was set up by Chandler’s 44-yard pass to Maurice Brown, who leaped between two defenders to make the catch. Three plays later, Russell scored on a 1-yard run.

On Buffalo’s next possession, Leeper bobbled an option pitch and Considine scooped up the ball and ran untouched into the end zone.

Considine intercepted Randall Secky midway through the second quarter, and the Hawkeyes made it 35-0 eight plays later when Chandler zipped a 23-yard strike to Brown.

Chandler was replaced by Drew Tate, a freshman from Texas. Tate marched Iowa on a 69-yard touchdown drive, giving Iowa a 42-0 lead at the half.

Iowa special contributed when Ramon Ochoa returned a punt 70 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter.