April 9, 2004
COLUMBIA, MO – The University of Iowa men’s track and field team ended the first day of the Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville, TN, while the Hawkeye women’s team finished the first day of competition at the Tom Botts Invitational in Columbia, MO.
Senior Sarah Arens led the women, winning the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a collegiate-best and regional qualifying mark of 10:38.31. Junior Tiff Pedersen and freshmen Angie Hensel, Erin O’Hern and Becca Franklin also recorded collegiate bests at the meet. Senior Georgia Millward placed fourth in the 5,000 meters with a hand-held time of 17:14.3.
Seniors Russell Peterson and Tony Leick led the men’s team with NCAA Mid-West Regional qualifying marks in the 400-meter hurdles. Peterson ran a 52.36, while Leick ran a 52.43. Both were season-best performances. Senior Brad Daufeldt placed fourth in the invitational section of the discus with a throw of 168-11. Freshman Shane Maier placed sixth in the open shot put (53-9 3/4), and senior Eric Rothwell placed sixth in the open discus (158-10).
Both teams will resume competition Saturday. The men’s team will also have competitors at the Jim Duncan Invitational in Des Moines, IA, Saturday.
WOMEN’S RESULTS AT TOM BOTTS INVITE (Event Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
1. Holly Scherder (Missouri) 195-4 8. Erin O’Hern (Iowa) 130-8 9. Becca Franklin (Iowa) 127-4
1. Jummy Alwonle (Iowa St.) 19-3 1/4 4. Tiff Pedersen (Iowa) 18-5 1/4 7. Angie Hensel (Iowa) 17-7
1. Sarah Arens (Iowa) 10:38.31
1. Serena Ramsey (Missouri) 17:14.3h 4. Georgia Millward (Iowa) 17:47.2h
MEN’S RESULTS AT SEA RAY RELAYS (Event Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
Discus – Open
1. Brent Shelby (Kent St.) 168-11 6. Eric Rothwell (Iowa) 158-10
Discus – Invitational
1. Vikas Gowda (Unattached) 200-7 4. Brad Daufeldt (Iowa) 168-11
1. Demi Omole (Wisconsin) 10.38 17. Zach Digney (Iowa) 10.80
1. Labronze Garrett (Holyfield In) 49.42 15. Russell Peterson (Iowa) 52.36 16. Tony Leick (Iowa) 52.43
1. Sam Burley (ASICS) 1:47.76 38. Rob Long (Iowa) 1:54.55
Shot Put – Open
1. Rhett Hillard (Illinois St.) 55-9 3/4 6. Shane Maier (Iowa) 53-9 3/4 10. Andy Banse (Iowa) 52-6