Jan. 28, 2007
MILWAUKEE, WI – 36th-ranked Iowa defeated Marquette today, 4-3, after a strong comeback in singles play. Iowa lost the doubles point, but won four singles matches in the competition.
In doubles play, Iowa’s duo of Mili Veselinovic and Merel Beelen were the first to finish, and lost to Dominika Dabrowski and Francina Bonnelly, 8-4. Hillary Mintz and Kelcie Klockenga were defeated by Lauren Little and Shannon Brown, 8-4, while Jacqueline Lee and Kayla Berry were defeated by Kylie Moore and Maria Calbeto, 9-7.
In singles play, Iowa came back to tie the match at 1-1 with Beelen’s singles win over Brown, 6-3, 6-1. Mintz then helped Iowa pull ahead to 2-1 with her win over Calbeto, 6-2, 6-2, and Veselinovic solidified the score, defeating Moore, 7-5, 6-2.
Although Berry was not successful in her singles match, losing to Robin Metzler, 6-3, 7-5, Lee clinched the victory for Iowa with her win over Little, 6-3, 6-3. Klockenga was the last to finish for Iowa, and was defeated by Erin Watkins, 6-2, 1-6, 6-2.
“After the loss in doubles we knew we were in for another battle today, but we knew that it was possible to win at least four of six singles. I’m happy with the way the girls rebounded after the heartbreaking loss yesterday and came back to win after losing the doubles point,” said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan.
Iowa will return to competition February 2nd, hosting Indiana State at 6 p.m., and February 4th, hosting Denver at 10 a.m.
1. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) def. Lauren Little (Marquette), 6-3, 6-3.
2. Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Kylie Moore (Marquette), 7-5, 6-2.
3. Hillary Mintz (Iowa) def. Maria Calbeto (Marquette), 6-2, 6-2.
4. Erin Watkins (Marquette) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 6-2, 1-6, 6-2.
5. Robin Metzler (Marquette), def. Kayla Berry (Iowa), 6-3, 7-5.
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Shannon Brown (Marquette), 6-3, 6-1.
1. Little/Brown (Marquette) def. Mintz/Klockenga (Iowa), 8-4.
2. Moore/Calbeto (Marquette) def. Lee/Berry (Iowa), 9-7.
3. Veselinovic/Beelen (Iowa) def. Dabrowski/Bonnelly (Marquette), 8-4.