March 24, 2007
COLUMBUS, OH – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 2 Ohio State Saturday, 7-0.
The Hawkeyes began the day with tough competition in the doubles matches. The team of juniors Bart van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie were defeated in the No. 1 match by Eberly and Kronauge, 8-3. In the No. 2 match, Iowa’s team of sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Reinoud Haal was defeated by 16th-ranked Mullings and Klingemann, 8-3. In the final doubles match, sophomore Christian Bierich and freshman Tommy McGeorge fell to Moneke and Koniecko, 8-2.
Against an Ohio State line-up that featured four ranked players, Iowa was unable to win a singles match. The Hawkeyes took two matches into three sets. In the No. 1 match, Bierich was defeated by No. 10 Moneke, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. Holm was defeated in the No. 5 match by 75th-ranked Klingemann, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-4. They return to action Sunday against Indiana. Competition is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
No. 2 Ohio State 7
1. No. 10 Steven Moneke (28-6/OSU) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 25 Bryan Koniecko (15-8/OSU) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 34 Devin Mullings (23-4/OSU) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-1, 6-2
4. Justin Kronauge (17-6/OSU) def. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) 7-5, 6-2
5. No. 75 Chris Klingemann (22-4/OSU) def. Gregory Holm (Iowa) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Drew Eberly (13-4/OSU) def. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) 6-1, 6-2
1. Eberly/Kronauge (OSU) def. Ritchie/Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) 8-3
2. No. 16 Mullings/Klingemann (OSU) def. Holm/Haal (Iowa) 8-3
3. Moneke/Koniecko (OSU) def. Bierich/McGeorge (Iowa) 8-2
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.