March 30, 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>IOWA CITY – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by PennState, 7-0, Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes won one match in doubles competition against PennState. Sophomore Christian Bierich teamed with freshman Reinoud Haal in the No. 3 match to defeat Hunter and Dwyer, 8-5. PennState won the remaining matches to secure the doubles point. In the No. 1 match sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Walker Grimes were defeated by James and Berger, 8-3. The team of junior J.P. Ritchie and freshman Patrick Dwyer was defeated by Slagter and Gormley, 9-7, in the No. 2 match.
Iowa struggled in singles competition and lost all matches. In the No. 1 spot, Ritchie was defeated by 90th-ranked James, 6-2, 7-6 (4). Bierich was defeated in the No. 2 spot by Berger, 2-6, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (4). In the No. 3 match, Haal fell to Slagter in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Freshman Tommy McGeorge was defeated in the No. 4 match by Lynch, 6-4, 7-5. In the No. 5 match, Holm was defeated by Gormley, 6-2, 6-3. Dwyer played in the No. 6 spot and was defeated by Dwyer, 6-3, 9-5.
“We’ve been really handicapped with our No. 1 player out with an injury and it showed today.” said Head Coach Steve Houghton.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-6 overall and 0-3 in the Big Ten. They will return to action Sunday against Michigan. Competition will begin at 10 a.m. in the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
#40 Penn State 7
1. #90 Michael James (PSU) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
2. Ryan Berger (PSU) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 2-6, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (4)
3. Adam Slagter (PSU) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-3, 6-3
4. Brendan Lynch (PSU) def. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) 6-4, 7-5
5. Ryan Gormley (PSU) def. Gregory Holm (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
6. James Dwyer (PSU) def. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) 6-3, 9-5
1. James/Berger (PSU) def. Holm/Walker Grimes (Iowa) 8-3
2. Slagter/Gormley (PSU) def. Ritchie/Dwyer (Iowa) 9-7
3. Bierich/Haal (Iowa) def. Bradley Hunter/Dwyer (PSU) 8-5
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.