April 1, 2007
IOWA CITY – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by 25th-ranked Michigan, 6-1, Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
In doubles competition, the team of sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Walker Grimes was defeated by No. 35 Mazlin and Heller, 8-5, in the No. 1 match. In the No. 2 spot, junior J.P. Ritchie teamed with freshman Patrick Dwyer. The duo was defeated by Hung and Aarts, 8-6. In the final doubles match, sophomore Christian Bierich and freshman Reinoud Haal fell to Navas and Srocynski, 8-5.
In singles competition, Ritchie played in the No. 1 spot. He was defeated by 61st-ranked Hung, 6-4, 6-4. In the No. 2 match, Bierich fell to Heller, 6-4, 6-3. Haal was defeated by Mazlin in the No. 3 match, 6-2, 6-3. Freshman Tommy McGeorge fell to Srocynski in the No. 4 match, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4. In the No. 5 match, Holm was defeated by Navas, 6-3, 6-3. Dwyer secured Iowa’s only point of the match when he defeated Aarts in the No. 6 match, 6-4, 6-2.
“We played the whole weekend without our No. 1 player,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “With such a young team, we’re not good enough to overcome a top-20 type team.”
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-7 overall and 0-4 in the Big Ten. They will return to action April 8 when they travel to Michigan State. Competition is scheduled to begin at 11a.m. (CDT).
#25 Michigan 6
1. #61 Brian Hung (Michigan) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ryan Heller (Michigan) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 6-4, 6-3
3. Andrew Mazlin (Michigan) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mike Srocynski (Michigan) def. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
5. George Navas (Michigan) def. Gregory Holm (Iowa) 6-3, 6-3
6. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) def. Peter Aarts (Michigan) 6-4, 6-2
1. #35 Mazlin/Heller (Michigan) def. Holm/Walker Grimes (Iowa) 8-5
2. Hung/Aarts (Michigan) def. Ritchie/Dwyer (Iowa) 8-6
3. Navas/Srocynski (Michigan) def. Bierich/Haal (Iowa) 8-5
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.