Talkin' Lickliter

April 3, 2007

IOWA CITY — Todd Lickliter will be officially introduced as the new head men’s basketball coach at the University of Iowa at 4:45 p.m. today. However, the scheduling of his first news conference as the head coach of the Hawkeyes hasn’t stopped the talk about the newest member of the Hawkeye family.

Here’s a sampling of what friends, peers and other are saying about the 2007 NCAA Division I Coach of the Year.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT LICKLITER

“He’s a good hire; the guy can really coach it up. Everyone in Iowa is going to be smiling a lot over the next few years.”
Van Colemam, recruiting analyst, to the Iowa City Press-Citizen

“Todd has done a remarkable job at Butler. His teams are fundamentally sound and execute as well as anyone in the country. Iowa has hired a great basketball coach.”
Greg McDermott, head coach, Iowa State University, to the Des Moines Register

“The hire is a home run, it makes perfect sense. Todd brings a winning attitude and he brings ability. Best of all, he’s coming from a place at Butler, that has a winning culture. He will establish a winning culture at Iowa, in their recruiting, in relating to alumni, and his ability to coach. It’s a slam dunk for the Hawkeyes.”
Seth Davis, CBS Sports

“Number one, I’m excited for Todd. I think Iowa is getting a great person and a great basketball coach. I played for Todd; I coached with Todd; and Todd coached for me. The job Todd did at Butler University, for the time he was there was incredibly. I think that adding him into the league, we are adding a quality person and a quality coach.”
Thad Matta, head coach,
The Ohio State University

“Todd is a high quality, class individual, and a terrific coach. I just have great, great respect for him. He does a lot of good things in managing his kids, developing his players and how he coaches the game.

“I’m a big, big fan of Todd’s. For what he represents between the lines, but even more importantly how he goes about trying to develop those young men as student athletes under his leadership.”
Clark Kellogg, CBS Sports

“He’s done such a great job for so long, and it’s not a fluke either. He had kids who believe in the system. They are unselfish and play together. They do all the things that terrific coaches get their people to do.

“Everybody has been impressed with what he has been able to do. I think Iowa is very fortunate. Iowa fans will enjoy him, and his style. I think he will be able to attract kids who fit the way he wants to play. I think the future is bright.”
Bill Rafterty, TV and Radio Analyst

“Todd’s one of those guys, he’s a coaches coach. He takes a team and he gets them to play above their level. When you look at what he did this year; in the Horizon League, they were picked to be down, and yet they come out and knock off teams from the Big Ten, the Big East, the ACC; they ran through the pre-season NIT, it was due to his coaching, and he’s been that way for years there.

“When you talk to people and they ask about the best coaches, Todd Lickliter is going to be on the list. Maybe the general public doesn’t know him, but everyone inside basketball definitely does.”
Jim O’Connell, Associated Press College Basketball Writer

“I did the second round game when Butler had the win over Maryland. I thought his team was well coached, very well organized. The substitution pattern was terrific, he knew exactly when to take a guy out and when to bring a guy in. Throughout his career, that has been his trademark, very well coached and well prepared teams. No program can ask for more than that.”
Kevin Harlan, CBS Sports

“It’s a great hire for The University of Iowa. Coach Lickliter has been very successful at the mid-major level, especially in the Midwest. He’s obviously proven himself in the NCAA Tournament. I don’t see why Iowa can’t continue its great tradition of being a Big Ten contender under Todd Lickliter. The Butler track record certainly speaks for itself.”
Andy Katz, ESPN College Basketball Analyst

“First and foremost, I think, everyone who has followed what Butler has done in the past; in his six years at Butler, he has taken two separate groups of players at Butler to the `Sweet 16′. As good a coach as he is, I think he’s a better person. He’s a great family man.

“He’s great to his players; players love to play for him. He treats people in general the right way. He’s a very humble person, yet at the same time, ultra-competitive, which, I think, translates to his teams. He gets his players to buy into team basketball, to play together. With all that said, that combination has been a great success for the teams that he has coached.”
Brandon Miller, Former Butler player under Todd Lickliter

Thad Matta, Head Coach, Ohio State University

Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.