April 11, 2007
MINNEAPOLIS, MN – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by Minnesota, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes split the singles matches with Minnesota, but were unable to a secure doubles win.
Iowa was swept in doubles competition. Juniors J.P. Ritchie and Bart van Monsjou were defeated by Edlefsen and Wilkins in the No. 1 match, 8-7 (0). In the No. 2 match, freshman Walker Grimes teamed with sophomore Greg Holm. The duo was defeated by Kantar and Schwark, 8-3. Sophomore Christian Bierich and freshman Reinoud Haal fell to Osorio and Pham in the No. 3 match, 8-5.
In singles competition, van Monsjou secured a win for the Hawkeyes in the No.1 match. He defeated Osorio, 6-1, 7-5. In the No. 2 match, Ritchie fell to 73rd-ranked Schwark, 6-2, 7-5. Bierich lost in the No. 3 spot to Edlefsen, 6-2, 6-3. In the No. 4 match, Haal recorded a win over Geatz, 3-6, 6-4, def. Freshman Tommy McGeorge defeated Kantar in the No. 5 spot, 6-4, 6-4. In the final singles match, freshman Patrick Dwyer was defeated by Wilkins, 6-4, 6-4.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-9 overall and 0-6 in the Big Ten. They will return to action April 14 when they host Wisconsin. Play is set to begin at 11 a.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center.
#36 Minnesota 4
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Andres Osorio (MINN) 6-1, 7-5
2. #73 Raoul Schwark (MINN) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-2, 7-5
3. Nich Edlefsen (MINN) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
4. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) def. D.J. Geatz (MINN) 3-6, 6-4, def.
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Mikey Kantar (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Sion Wilkins (MINN) def. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) 6-4, 6-4
1. Edlefsen/Wilkins (MINN) def. #50 Ritchie/van Monsjou (Iowa) 8-7 (0)
2. Kantar/Schwark (MINN) def. Walker Grimes/Gregory Holm (Iowa) 8-3
3. Osorio/Chi Pham (MINN) def. Bierich/Haal (Iowa) 8-5
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.