April 22, 2007
URBANA, IL – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 11 Illinois, 6-1, Sunday in Urbana, IL. This match was the last event of the regular season for the Hawkeyes. They finish 8-12 overall and 1-9 in the Big Ten
Iowa lost the first two matches of doubles competition. Juniors Bart van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie were defeated by ninth-ranked Anderson and Rowe, 8-3, in the No. 1 match. In the No. 2 spot, freshman Walker Grimes teamed with sophomore Greg Holm. They were defeated by Spicijaric and Jones, 8-6. Freshman Reinoud Haal teamed with sophomore Christian Bierich to capture a win in the No. 3 match. The team defeated Gonzales and Davis, 8-4.
The Hawkeyes were defeated in five of the six singles matches. Freshman Patrick Dwyer grabbed Iowa’s only win. He defeated Knue in the No. 6 match, 6-3, 6-2.
The Hawkeyes will travel to West Lafayette, IN, to compete in the Big Ten Championships April 26-28.
1. #6 Kevin Anderson (Illinois) def. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) 6-3, 6-1
2. #19 Ryan Rowe (Illinois) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-0, 6-2
3. Marc Spicijaric (Illinois) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 6-0, 6-1
4. Ruben Gonzales (Illinois) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-3, 6-3
5. GD Jones (Illinois) def. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) 3-6, 7-6 (1-0)
6. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) def. Jordan Knue (Illinois) 6-3, 6-2
1. #9 Anderson/Rowe (Illinois) def. van Monsjou/Ritchie (Iowa) 8-3
2. Spicijaric/Jones def. Walker Grimes/Greg Holm (Iowa) 8-6
3. Haal/Bierich (Iowa) def. Gonzales/Brandon Davis (Illinois) 8-4
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.