Sept. 14, 2008
Minneapolis, MN – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team competed in its final day of competition at the 2008 Gopher Invitational, hosted by the University of Minnesota. Combining singles and doubles, the Hawkeyes posted a 10-10 singles record and a 5-7 record in doubles this weekend for a 15-17 record overall.
After a great day of competition on Saturday, posting four singles wins, four Hawkeyes moved onto Sunday’s final competitions. Sophomore Lynn Poggensee-Wei defeated teammate Kelcie Klockenga for the consolation championship title of the Vikings single flight. Allison Majercik was defeated by Phoebe Walker of Northern Iowa 6-4, 6-2 and Alexis Dorr was defeated by Megan Falcon of LSU 6-1, 6-4.
The highlight of the tournament was once again Sophomore Alexis Dorr. She had an early test against No. 15 Megan Falcon, and competed well, showing plenty of intensity during this season opening tournament. Not only did she make the finals in the singles competition with a 3-1 record, but also played solidly in the doubles competition with partner Poggensee-Wei. Sophomore Poggensee-Wei was another Hawkeye standout posting a 3-1 singles record as well.
The doubles competitors also saw victory on Saturday when each pair went 1-1 for a 3-3 Iowa record. Hawkeye pair Barnes/Majercik defeated Ahuja/Rivero of Eastern Michigan 9-7 and Klockenga/Young went 8-5 defeating Frank/Gaard of Gustavus. On Sunday, the Hawkeye doubles went 1-2 when Poggensee-Wei/Dorr defeated Kanade/Walker of Northern Iowa 8-2.
“Overall, I was pleased with the effort this weekend,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “Our overall record was just about right for the level of competition, where we can play well and win half of our matches. The tournament was a good test for us, and will give us a little bit of direction on where we need to work.”
Iowa will return to competition on October 11 when they travel to New York for the USTA National Tennis Center Women’s College Tennis Invite.
1. Jennifer Barns (Iowa) def. Samantha Frank (Gustavus) 6-2, 6-3
2. Christen Monreal (Air Force) def. Allison Majercik (Iowa) 1-6, 6-4 (11-9)
3. Lynn Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Sampada Kanade (No. Iowa) 6-1, 6-2
1. Abayan/Rudico (Air Force) def. Barnes/Majercik (Iowa)
2. Barnes/Majercik (Iowa) def. Ahuja/Rivero (E. Mich.) 9-7
3. Poggensee-Wei/Dorr (Iowa) def. Ahuja/Rivero (E. Mich.) 8-3
4. Sperling/Wiecha (Minnesota) def. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) 8-6
5. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) def. Frank/Gaard (Gustavus) 8-5
6. Karonis/Macedo (Iowa State) def. Poggensee-Wei/Dorr (Iowa) 8-3
1. Phoebe Walker (No. Iowa) def. Allison Majercik (Iowa) 6-4, 6-2
2. Lynn Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-4, 6-2
3. Megan Falcon (LSU) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-1, 6-4
1. Poggensee-Wei/Dorr (Iowa) def. Kanade/Walker (No. Iowa) 8-2
2. Swarting/Geibert (Nebraska) def. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) 8-3
3.Wischer/Kelemen (Iowa State) def Barnes/Majercik (Iowa) 8-5