Feb. 15, 2009
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Western Michigan Sunday, 7-0, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. With the victory, the 57th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 4-1 on the season.
“This was our best win of the year,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “We have had battles with them over the years. I was really pleased with the decisiveness of this win.”
Iowa swept all three matches to claim the doubles point. The Hawkeyes have now won the doubles point in all five of their matches to begin the season. Greg Holm and Reinoud Haal defeated Casey Cullen and Kevin Hayward to begin the match. The duo won 8-3 at the No. 2 position. At No. 1 doubles, Christian Bierich and Nikita Zotov defeated the 33rd-ranked duo of Zeyad Montasser and Michael Calderone, 8-4, to clinch the doubles point. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos continued their strong play at the No. 3 position. The duo, ranked 60th nationally, defeated Kazuya Komada and Pablo Olivarez, 8-7. McGeorge and Vasos are now 5-0 in dual matches.
Iowa kept the momentum going into singles play, sweeping all six matches. McGeorge defeated Olivarez 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position. Bierich, ranked 119th nationally, defeated Hayward at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-3. Holm clinched the victory for the Hawkeyes, winning 6-2, 6-2, over Brad Noel at No. 6 singles. The senior is now 5-0 in dual singles competition. Vasos was victorious over Montasser 7-5, 6-2, at No. 4 singles. Haal and Zotov also claimed singles victories. Haal defeated Komada 7-6, 5-7, 10-7, at No. 3 singles and Zotov defeated Calderone, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2, at No. 2 singles.
Iowa will host in-state rival Drake Wednesday, Feb. 25, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. Admission is free.
#57 Iowa – 7
Western Michigan – 0
1. Bierich/Zotov (IOWA) def. #33 Montasser/Calderone (WMU) 8-4
2. Haal/Holm (IOWA) def. Cullen/Hayward (WMU) 8-3
3. #60 McGeorge/Vasos (IOWA) def. Komada/Olivarez (WMU) 8-7
1. #119 Christian Bierich (IOWA) def. Kevin Hayward (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Michael Calderone (WMU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Kazuya Komada (WMU) 7-6, 5-7, 10-7
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Greg Holm (IOWA) def. Brad Noel (WMU) 6-2, 6-2