April 3, 2009
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to 12th-ranked Illinois Friday, 5-2. With the loss, the 64th-ranked Hawkeyes fall to 10-5 overall and 2-3 in Big Ten play on the season.
“Illinois has been a national power over the last several years and we have clearly closed the gap on them,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “Today was a really close match that could have gone either way.”
The Hawkeyes won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos defeated Waylon Chin and Brian Livingston, 8-0, at the No. 3 position. McGeorge and Vasos are now 14-1 in dual play on the season. Reinoud Haal and Greg Holm clinched the point for Iowa at the No. 2 position. The duo defeated 18th-ranked Dennis Nevolo and Ruan Roelofse, 8-5.
The Fighting Illini, now 15-5 overall and 5-0 in Big Ten play, won five of the six singles matches. Vasos claimed Iowa’s singles victory. The freshman defeated Marek Czerwinski 7-6, 1-6, 6-4, at the No. 4 position.
Iowa will face 43rd-ranked Indiana Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The match is scheduled to begin at noon. Admission is free.
#64 Iowa – 2
#12 Illinois – 5
1. #49 Marek Czerwinski/Marc Spicijaric (ILL) def. #57 Christian Bierich/Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 8-5
2. Greg Holm/Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. #18 Dennis Nevolo/Ruan Roelofse (ILL), 8-5
3. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Waylon Chin/Brian Livingston (ILL), 8-0
1. #79 Marc Spicijaric (ILL) def. Christian Bierich (IOWA), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #39 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
3. #42 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-3, 6-4
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Marek Czerwinski (ILL), 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
5. Waylon Chin (ILL) def. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA), 6-2, 5-7 (10-8)
6. Abe Souza (ILL) def. Greg Holm (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4