April 5, 2009
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated 43rd-ranked Indiana Sunday, 5-2. With the victory, the 64th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 11-5 overall and 3-3 in Big Ten play on the season.
“Today was a very big win for us against a very strong Indiana team,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “Freshman Tom Mroziewicz played his first varsity match and came up with a big win for us. I am very proud of our guys.”
The Hoosiers, now 11-11 overall and 3-3 in Big Ten play, won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos defeated Will Kendall and Maxime Armengaud, 8-4, at the No. 3 position. McGeorge and Vasos are now 15-1 in dual play on the season.
Iowa claimed five singles matches on the afternoon. McGeorge defeated Will Kendall at the No. 5 position, 6-0, 6-2. Tom Mroziewicz, playing in his first career dual match, defeated Stephen Vogl at the No. 6 spot. The freshman won 7-6, 6-4. Senior Christian Bierich defeated 85th-ranked Lachlan Ferguson at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Vasos then clinched the victory for the Hawkeyes. The freshman defeated Maxime Armengaud 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot. Reinoud Haal also claimed a singles victory. The junior defeated Santiago Gruter 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, at the No. 2 position.
Iowa will travel to Wisconsin Saturday in a match scheduled to begin at noon (CST). The Hawkeyes will then travel to Northwestern Sunday. That match is also scheduled to begin at noon (CST).
#64 Iowa – 5
#43 Indiana – 2
1. Santiago Gruter/Jeremy Langer (IND) def. #57 Christian Bierich/Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 8-3
2. Lachlan Ferguson/Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Greg Holm/Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 8-6
3. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Will Kendall/Maxime Armengaud (IND), 8-4
1. Christian Bierich (IOWA) def. #85 Lachlan Ferguson (IND), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Santiago Gruter (IND), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Jeremy Langer (IND) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-0, 7-6
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Maxime Armengaud (IND), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Will Kendall (IND), 6-0, 6-2
6. Tom Mroziewicz (IOWA) def. Stephen Vogl (IND), 7-6, 6-4