April 11, 2009
MADISON, WI – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost at 29th-ranked Wisconsin Saturday, 5-2. With the loss, the 58th-ranked Hawkeyes fall to 11-6 overall and 3-4 in Big Ten play on the season.
“It was a good competitive match against a highly ranked team,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton.
The Badgers, now 15-6 overall and 4-3 in Big Ten play, won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. Reinoud Haal and Christian Bierich teamed up for the first time this season. The duo defeated Moritz Baumann and Marek Michalicka at the No. 1 position, 8-5.
The Hawkeyes claimed two singles victories on the afternoon. Junior Tommy McGeorge defeated Michael Dierberger 3-6, 7-6, 10-4, at the No. 5 position. Freshman Tom Mroziewicz, competing in his second career dual match, won again at the No. 6 position. Mroziewicz defeated Michael Muskievicz 6-3, 7-5, to move to 2-0 in dual play.
Iowa travels to Northwestern Sunday. The match is scheduled to begin at noon.
#58 Iowa – 2
#29 Wisconsin – 5
1. Christian Bierich/Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Moritz Baumann/Marek Michalicka (WIS), 8-5
2. Michael Dierberger/Michael Muskievicz (WIS) def. Nikita Zotov/Greg Holm (IOWA), 8-5
3. Luke Rassow-Kantor/Patrick Pohlmann (WIS) def. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA), 8-1
1. #31 Moritz Baumann (WIS) def. Christian Bierich (IOWA), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. #47 Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 7-5, 7-6
3. Patrick Pohlmann (WIS) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
4. Peter Marrack (WIS) def. Will Vasos (IOWA), 6-2, 7-5
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Michael Dierberger (WIS), 3-6, 7-6, 10-4
6. Tom Mroziewicz (IOWA) def. Michael Muskievicz (WIS), 6-3, 7-5