April 23, 2009
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Championship Thursday, 4-0. Iowa, seeded ninth in the tournament, ends the season at 12-9 overall. Wisconsin, seeded eighth, will face regular season conference champion Ohio State Friday.
Wisconsin won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. The duo of Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos continued their stellar play at the No. 2 position. The pair defeated Michael Dierberger and Michael Muskievicz 9-7. The duo ended the spring season at 18-3 overall in doubles play. The Badgers then claimed the No. 3 and No. 1 matches to win the point.
Iowa was unable to win any singles matches on the day. Luke Rassow-Kantor defeated freshman Tom Mroziewicz 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 6 position. Patrick Pohlmann defeated Nikita Zotov at the No. 3 position. Pohlmann was victorious 6-3, 6-2. Peter Marrack then clinched the victory for the Badgers at the No. 4 position. Marrack defeated freshman Will Vasos 6-3, 7-5, to send Wisconsin to the second round.
This ends the season for the Hawkeyes. Iowa finished 12-9 overall and 4-6 in Big Ten action. In addition, the Hawkeyes won five matches over nationally ranked opponents.
No. 9 Iowa – 0
No. 8 Wisconsin – 4
1. #22 Baumann/Michalicka (WIS) def. Bierich/Haal (IOWA), 9-8(4)
2. McGeorge/Vasos (IOWA) def. Dierberger/Michael Muskievicz (WIS), 9-7
3. Pohlmann/Rassow-Kantor (WIS) def. Gregory Holm/Mroziewicz (IOWA), 8-6
1. #31 Mortiz Baumann (WIS) vs. Christian Bierich (IOWA), 6-3, 5-5 (unfinished)
2. #55 Marek Michalicka (WIS) vs. Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 6-4, 3-4 (unfinished)
3. Patrick Pohlmann (WIS) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-3, 6-2
4. Peter Marrack (WIS) def. Will Vasos (IOWA), 6-3, 7-5
5. Michael Dierberger (WIS) vs. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA), 6-7(5), 6-0 (unfinished)
6. Luke Rassow-Kantor (WIS) def. Tom Mroziewicz (IOWA), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Completion: Doubles (2-3-1), Singles (6-3-4)