Hawkeyes Battle to Overtime Draw with No. 23 Michigan


Sept. 28, 2012

Box Score

Box Score

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The University of Iowa women’s soccer team battled through 110 minutes and two overtime periods in a scoreless draw with 23rd-ranked Michigan (9-2-1, 3-0-1) Friday night at the U-M Soccer Stadium. The Hawkeyes (11-1-1, 2-1-1) earned their eighth shutout of the season, which is one away from the program record.

Iowa has allowed just seven goals through 13 matches this season. No team in program history has allowed fewer goals through 13 matches. Freshmen goalkeepers Meg Goodson and Hannah Clark continued to impress as the duo earned the combined shutout. Goodson started the first half, while Clark tallied seven saves in relief of Goodson.

Both teams entered the match ranked within the top three spots of the NSCAA Great Lakes Regional poll and sat within the top three spots of Big Ten standings. It was Iowa’s first overtime action of the season.

“We made some great plays on both sides of the ball,” said Iowa head coach Ron Rainey. “Both teams earned a number of chances, and both defenses answered them. It was an excellent match from start to finish with two teams that worked very hard. I’m very proud of our effort.”

The Hawkeyes held their opponent scoreless in the first half for the 12th time this season, as Iowa’s back line of seniors Jade Grimm and Kat Lewis, and sophomores Katie Brown and Melanie Pickert handled each Michigan attack. Iowa held Michigan to just one shot on goal in the first half, which came on a corner kick from Shelina Zadorsky in the 32nd minute. Pickert, guarding the far past, headed the ball out of goal as Iowa’s last line of defense.

Goodson, who earned Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week honors last week, started in goal for the Hawkeyes. The Van Meter, Iowa, native has played 152 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal. Goodson’s record is 5-1-1. She improved her save percentage to .879 and her goals against average to 0.73.

Iowa had six shots and one shot on goal in the opening frame. Junior Ashley Catrell tallied two shots and had a threatening shot on goal in the 9th minute that was saved by Michigan goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer. Iowa held a 4-1 advantage in corners heading into the break.

The second half started much like the first half, with both defenses controlling the pace of play. The Hawkeyes put on a late push looking for the game-winner in the closing moments of the second half. Iowa nearly found the game-winner in the 88th minute as junior Alex Melin’s header sailed just wide of the post.

Clark made a tremendous save for the Hawkeyes in the 90th minute to keep the match tied. Christina Murillo’s shot from a free kick was sent to the top, right corner of the goal, but Clark made a diving save.

The Hawkeyes kept Michigan off the score sheet in the first overtime period, denying a number of Michigan opportunities in the attacking third. Iowa held the Wolverines to just two shots in the final overtime period, but the Hawkeyes couldn’t find the game-winning goal as the match ended in a scoreless draw.

Iowa finished with 11 corners, a season high, and 13 shots. Catrell led Iowa with four shots while Melin added three. Six other Hawkeyes tallied one shot. Clark played the final 65 minutes, earning seven saves to increase her save percentage to .909 and her goals against average to 0.45.

“We’re looking forward to recovering tonight and tomorrow, and then playing a confident Michigan State team that is coming off a win,” said Rainey. “We just have to focus on what we need to do as a team to get better.”

The Hawkeyes return to action Sunday, facing Michigan State (8-3-1, 2-2-0) at the DeMartin Soccer Complex in East Lansing, Mich. The match will begin at noon (CT) and will be televised live by Big Ten Network. The Spartans defeated Nebraska, 2-1, on Friday night.