IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision against the Michigan State Spartans at the Hawkeye and Tennis and Recreation Complex in Iowa City, Iowa.
Michigan State locked up the doubles point after Faulkner and Baer won, 6-4, over Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas at No. 1 doubles. Montana Crawford and senior Annette Dohanics fell, 6-1, to Nguyen and Trouillot of MSU on court No. 3.
“We had opportunities in both singles and doubles today that we didn’t capitalize on that put us behind early,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “Michigan State did a good job competing this afternoon and came in here ready to go. We had significant growth from our younger players this year and it didn’t go the way we wanted it to with the number of close losses in the Big Ten. We have a good nucleus of players coming back with great mentalities and work ethics and as they mature we’ll be back stronger next year.”
Senior Annette Dohanics was the first Hawkeye to finish singles play, falling Emily Metcalf, 6-1 in both sets. She played her final match this afternoon at the HTRC in Iowa City.
“Nettie has been a huge part of this program for four years and battled through injuries this year, but has been a great ambassador for the program and has been a great Hawkeye,” said Dougherty.
Freshman Kristen Thoms was defeated by Davina Nguyen of MSU, 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 singles position.
The Hawkeyes have finished the 2016 season with an overall record of 10-15.
IOWA 2, Michigan State 5
1. Erin Faulker (MSU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA), 6-2, 7-5
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Lexi Baylis (MSU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Davina Nguyen (MSU) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA), 6-1, 6-2
4. Emily Metcalf (MSU) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA), 6-1, 6-1
5. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) vs. Athena Trouillot (MSU), 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
6. Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA), 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
Order of Finish (4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6)
1. Faulkner/Baer (MSU) def. Reimchen/Douglas (IOWA), 6-4
2. Tarun/Huckleby (IOWA) def. Metcalf/Meyers (MSU), 7-5
3. Nguyen/Trouillot (MSU) def. CrawfordaDohanics (IOWA), 6-1
Order of Finish (3, 1, 2)