EAST LANSING, Mich. — The 72nd-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped its final regular season match, 4-3, to Michigan State (12-17, 1-11) Sunday afternoon at the MSU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
The Hawkeyes grabbed the doubles point with decisions on courts one and three.
Sophomores Lefteris Theodorou and Josh Silverstein noched a, 6-0, win over Mac Roy and Jasper Koenen at the one spot. Sophomore Jake Jacoby and freshman Jonas Larsen won on court three, 6-2, over Alexander Kim and Billy Shisler.
In singles, Theodorou added to his win column with a, 6-2, 6-3, victory over Michael Dube at No. 2.
Jacoby also walked off the court with a win today in three sets. He defeated Ivan Rakic at No. 5, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
With the score tied, 3-3, the match came down to Larsen’s singles match on court No. 4. The Hawkeye freshman dropped a heartbreaker in a third set tiebreaker, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6.
Iowa (11-16, 1-11) will end its season in Minneapolis next weekend at the Big Ten tournament.
MICHIGAN STATE 4, #72 IOWA 3
1. Mac Roy (MSU) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 7-6, 7-5
2. Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. Michael Dube (MSU): 6-2, 6-3
3. Jasper Koenen (MSU) def. Robin Haden (UI): 6-2, 6-2
4. Alexander Kim (MSU) def. Jonas Larsen (MSU): 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Ivan Rakic (MSU): 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Billy Shisler (MSU) def. Nils Hallestrand (UI): 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4
1. Lefteris Theodorou/Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Mac Roy/Jasper Koenen (MSU): 6-0
2. Nils Hallestrand/Robin Haden (UI) vs. Michael Dube/Colin Harvey (MSU) unfinished
3. Jake Jacoby/Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Alexander Kim/Billy Shisler (MSU): 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3