MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — The 73rd-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team advanced in the Big Ten Tournament after posting a 4-1 win over No. 58 Indiana at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis.
Iowa (12-16), who notched its fifth win of the season over a nationally ranked opponent, will face No. 24 Michigan (19-6) in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals Friday at 11:30 a.m. (CT).
Iowa’s win marked the first time a No. 12 seed topped a No. 5 seed since the conference tournament expanded to 12 teams in 2012. The Hawkeyes have advanced to the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals each of the past two seasons.
The Hawkeyes snagged the doubles point with a, 7-5, decision on court three by junior Nils Hallestrand and senior Dominic Patrick. The duo was joined in doubles victory by sophomores Josh Silverstein and Lefteris Theodorou. The pair of underclassmen defeated Indiana’s Sam Monette and Daniel Bednarczyk, 6-2, at the one spot.
In singles, Theodorou made quick work of his match against Raheel Manji on court two. The Athens native won his match, 6-2, 6-3.
“Lefty took care of business and played really well in singles and doubles,” said UI head coach Ross Wilson, “and Josh was an absolute warrior, but unfortunately didn’t get to finish his match.”
Junior Robin Haden saw his first win of the spring season at No. 3, bouncing Bednarczyk (6-4, 7-5).
“Robin and Dom stepped up today to get the win for us,” Wilson said.
Patrick clinched the win for Iowa with a three-set win at six over Afonso Salgado, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. The win was Patrick’s 63rd of his career moving him into sole possession of 10th place in all-time singles victories in program history,
Jake Jacoby was trailing, 4-2, in the third set when his match was abandoned. Although the sophomore did not finish the day without a win, Jacoby was selected as the team’s Big Ten Sportsmanship award winner for the 2015-16 season.
“This was a great team win,” said Wilson. “It took all the guys to pull this one out. We’re excited to get a chance to play another match tomorrow.”
#73 IOWA 4, #58 INDIANA 1
1. #62 Sam Monette (IU) vs. Josh Silverstein (IOWA): unfinished
2. Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) def. Raheel Manji (IU): 6-2, 6-3
3. Robin Haden (IOWA) def. Daniel Bednarczyk 6-4, 7-5
4. Jake Jacoby (IOWA) vs. Matthew McCoy (IU): unfinished
5. Antonio Cembellin (IU) def. Jonas Larsen (IOWA): 7-5, 7-5
6. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Afonso Salgado (IU): 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 6
1. Josh Silverstein/Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) def. Sam Monette/Daniel Bednarczyk (IU): 6-2
2. Chris Essick/Stefan Lugonjic (IU) def. Jake Jacoby/Jonas Larsen (IOWA): 6-3
3. Nils Hallestrand/Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Raheel Manji/Afonso Salgado (IU): 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3