The University of Iowa women’s golf team hits the road next week to compete in the GolfWeek Conference Challenge on Sept. 26-28 at the Red Sky Ranch and Golf Club in Vail, Colorado.
• Monday, Sept. 26 — First Round — 10:00 a.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 27 — Second Round — 10:00 a.m.
• Wednesday, Sept. 28 — Final Round — 9:00 a.m.
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 18 teams from 18 different conferences: San Diego State, Tennessee, Campbell, TCU, UC Davis, Denver, Washington State, Pepperdine, Old Dominion, Iowa, New Mexico State, Idaho, Toledo, Coastal Carolina, Missouri State, Central Arkansas, South Florida, and James Madison.
In the number one spot will be Jessica Ip, followed by Jessie Sindlinger. Elisa Suarez, Sophie Liu, and Shawn Rennegarbe round out the Hawkeye lineup.
• The Fazio Golf Course — Par 72 — 5,265 yards.
• The course travels through a variety of terrain, from open sage covered hills, to dense aspen forest, and around a highland lake.
• The course maintains indigenous vegetation, as more than 23,000 native plants were replanted throughout the course.
• The Fazio Golf Course was designed by golf course architect Tom Fazio.
HISTORICALLY AT THE GOLFWEEK CHALLENGE
• This is the first time the Iowa women’s golf team has participated in the GolfWeek Conference Challenge.
• The tournament is sponsored by GolfWeek, a high-end weekly golfing magazine. The magazine was launched in 1975 by Charley Stine.
HAWKEYES START OFF SEASON
The Hawkeyes kicked off their season at the Red Raider Invitational on Sept. 12-13, where they tied for sixth-place, carding a 907 (+43; 300, 303, 304). • Junior Jessica Ip lead the team with a second-place finish and a three-round total of 215 (-1; 71, 74, 70).
• Ip scored the sixth-lowest individual performance for 54-holes in Iowa history.
• Freshman Sophie Liu made her collegiate debut with a score of 226 (+10; 77, 74, 75) to tie for 22nd overall.
• Rounding out the Hawkeyes were junior Morgan Kukla with a 227 (+11; 74, 76, 77), senior Jessie Sindlinger with a score of 239 (+23; 78, 79, 82), and junior Elisa Suarez carding a 251 (+35; 88, 80, 83).
HAWKEYES SET FOR THE JOURNEY
The Iowa women’s golf team’s slogan this year is “The Journey”. It is a reminder for the team to believe in themselves and recognize the great opportunity they have in front of them this season. The team plans to build upon a historical 2015 season this year.
• Last season, the Hawkeyes registered 11 of the top-15 team performances for 18 holes, scoring their lowest with a 282 at the Johnie Imes Invitational.
• The team broke the program record for 36-hole and 54-hole team scores, with alltime-lows of 571 and 864 at the Johnie Imes Invitational.
• They also shattered the team scoring average record with an average of 73.2 strokesper-round, topping the previous best by three strokes (2010; 76.3).
THREE NAMED TO B1G TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Jessie Sindlinger, junior Jessica Ip, and freshman Sophie Liu — were named 2016-17 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Jessie Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, averaging a 73.7 strokes per-round — the best on the team.
• Jessica Ip competed in all six competitions, scoring a 74.4 stroke average — the sec- ond best on the team. Ip earned the first medalist honor of her career, winning the Diane Thomason invite with a four-under-par 212 on Sept. 13.
• Sophie Liu is beginning her collegiate career this fall. The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was one of just six freshmen named to the watch list.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Shawn Rennegarbe, Sarah Overton, and Sophie Liu — to the 2016-17 squad. Rennegarbe is a sophomore transfer from Arkansas with three years of eligibility remaining. Liu and Overton are incoming freshman this year.
ON THE HORIZON:
The Iowa women’s golf team heads to Greenville, North Carolina, for the Greenville Regional Preview on Oct. 17-18.