- The University of Iowa men’s tennis team hosts Western Michigan and Creighton Saturday to open the 2017 spring season inside the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
- PlaySight along with the ITA are happy to announced that Iowa’s matches against Western Michigan and Creighton are the PlaySight/ITA Match of the Week. Click HERE to watch the Western Michigan match.
- The Hawkeyes will match up first against the Broncos at Noon (CT).
- Iowa takes on the Bluejays at 6 p.m. (CT), at the same time the women will be competing against Creighton.
- Admission is free to the public.
- Western Michigan enters Saturday’s contest with a 2-0 non-conference record.
- The Broncos saw only one loss in singles play in their opening weekend.
- Saturday’s match will be the 35th meeting between the Hawkeyes and the Broncos.
- Iowa leads the all-time series, 20-14.
- The Hawkeyes have won the last two meetings, both in Iowa City.
- The Bluejays finished the 2016 season 10-10 overall.
- Creighton saw only two victories on the road last season.
- The Hawkeyes are 7-0 in the all-time series.
- Iowa won the match-up, 7-0, last season in Iowa City.
COACH WILSON ON NON-CONFERENCE MATCH-UPS:
“We’ve got a handful of great opportunities to get nationally ranked wins because we’re trying to get between seven and nine so that we can make the NCAA Tournament, but it is really important for us to make sure that we hold our home court here in the
nonconference and this weekend’s matchups are a good chance for us to get off on the right foot.”
WILSON ON SPRING SEASON PREPARATION:
“I think the guys prepared well over winter break. A number of them played tournaments and I know all of them practiced a lot back home. Now that they’re back on campus we just want them to hit a lot of balls, get a lot of repetition, especially with their ground strokes and getting their feet going with timing. We also transitioned into playing sets at the end of last week. This week, especially, we’ll be preparing for our first match on Saturday at noon.”
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Hawkeyes all season long and receive live match updates on Facebook (facebook.com/IowaMensTennis) or on Twitter (@IowaMensTennis). Fans can also get a behind the scene look on Instagram (iowamenstennis).
Prize Pack Drawings – All fans can fill out a FREE entry card at each home match for their chance to win a prize pack containing Hawkeye gear.