IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won its third match of the 2017 season Saturday when it defeated Northern Illinois, 7-0, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The win marks the second match in a row that the Hawkeyes have swept their opponent.
“I think we did a really good job today on being clear with what we wanted to do,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “We got some feedback today and learned some things, and hopefully we will be able to have a good week of practice to get ready for next Sunday.”
The Hawkeyes began the match winning the doubles point. Senior Aimee Tarun and sophomore Kristen Thoms were first off the court in doubles play defeating Pauline Chawafambira and Abigail Dekkinga, 6-0.
Junior Anastasia Reimchen and senior Natalie Looney followed as they defeated Brodie Walker and Evelyn Youel, 6-3, to secure the doubles point for the Hawkeyes.
Iowa won all six singles matches in route to the 7-0 victory. Tarun was first off the court for the Hawkeyes defeating Abbie-Jade Riley in straight sets, 6-1 6-4. van Heuvelen followed as she beat Adesuwa Osabuohien in straight sets, 6-2 6-2.
In her first match of the 2017 season, junior Montana Crawford defeated Brodie Walker in straight sets, 6-2 6-0, to give Iowa its fourth point and clinch the victory.
Zoe Douglas and Thoms also registered singles victories, winning their matches in straight sets. Douglas defeated Chawafambira, 6-3 8-6, after trailing in the second set, 5-1, and Thoms defeated Dekkinga, 6-4 6-1.
Reimchen was the last one off the court for the Hawkeyes. The junior defeated Raven Neely in three sets, 7-5 3-6, 10-3, to finish the sweep.
The Hawkeyes are back in action next Sunday as they host a doubleheader against Iowa State at 2:30 p.m. (CT) and Montana at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
- Elise van Heuvelen def. Adesuwa Osabuohien (NIU), 6-2 6-2
- Zoe Douglas def. Pauline Chawafambira (NIU), 6-3 8-6
- Anastasia Reimchen def. Raven Neely (NIU), 7-5, 3-6, 10-3
- Kristen Thoms def. Abigail Dekkinga (NIU), 6-4 6-1
- Montana Crawford def. Brodie Walker (NIU), 6-2 6-0
- Aimee Tarun def. Abbie-Jade Riley (NIU), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2
- Osabuohien/Neely (NIU) def. van Heuvelen/Douglas, 5-4, UF
- Reimchen/Looney def. Walker/Youel (NIU), 6-3
- Tarun/Thoms def. Chawafambira/Dekkinga (NIU), 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2