IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Iowa State, 5-0, and Montana, 7-0, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday. The victories mark the fourth straight time the Hawkeyes have blanked their opponents.
“I think our ability to respond was key tonight,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “We lost momentum in some matches, but we played those matches out and I think that is something we can really be proud of.”
The Hawkeyes started the doubleheader wining the doubles point against Iowa State. Sophomores Kristen Thoms and Adorabol Huckleby defeated Regina Espindola and Karen Alvarez, 6-3 and Zoe Douglas and Elise van Heuvelen defeated Samantha Budai and Maty Cancini in the number one position to clinch the doubles point for Iowa.
Douglas got the Hawkeyes started in singles play defeating Cancini in the No. 2 spot, 6-3 7-5. Montana Crawford was second off the court defeating Annabella Bonadonna, 6-4 6-4.
Huckleby secured the victory for the Hawkeyes when she defeated Margarita Timakova in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-0.
Iowa won the doubles point again to start the second match of the double header. Thoms and Huckleby won their second doubles match of the night when they defeated Lidia Dukic and Milica Panic, 6-4. Douglas and Looney defeated Hannah Sulz and Catherine Orfanso, 6-4, to claim the doubles point.
Huckleby was first of the court in singles against Montana defeating Nathalie Joanlanne in straight sets, 6-1 6-2. Crawford and Reimchen won their matches at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions respectively, clinching the match for the Hawkeyes.
Looney won her first singles match of the 2017 season defeating Milica Panic in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Thoms and Douglas also won their matches in straight sets to secure the, 7-0 victory for the Hawkeyes.
Iowa is back in action next Saturday as they face Western Michigan at 1 p.m. (CT) and Marquette at 3 p.m. (CT) in a doubleheader in Milwaukee.
Iowa vs. Iowa State 5-0
- Elise van Heuvelen vs. Samantha Budai (ISU), 6-2, 3-6, 3-3 (UF)
- Zoe Douglas def. Maty Cancini (ISU), 6-3, 7-5
- Anastasia Reimchen vs. Regina Espindola (ISU), 6-3, 4-6, 2-2 (UF)
- Kristen Thoms vs. Erin Freeman (ISU), 6-4, 3-6, 5-4 (UF)
- Adorabol Huckleby def. Margarita Timakova (ISU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
- Montana Crawford def. Annabella Bonadonna (ISU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5,
- Douglas/van Heuvelen def. Budai/Cancini (ISU), 6-4
- Timakova/Bonadonna (ISU) def. Reimchen/Looney, 6-3
- Thoms/Huckleby def. Espindola/Alvarez (ISU), 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
Iowa vs. Montana
- Zoe Douglas def. Hannah Sulz (Montana), 7-6 6-2
- Anastasia Reimchen def. Lidia Dukic (Montana), 6-1 6-2
- Kristen Thoms def. Catherine Orfanos (Montana), 6-2 6-4
- Adorabol Huckleby def. Nathalie Joanlanne (Montana), 6-1 6-2
- Montana Crawford def. Stanzi Stuijt (Montana), 6-2 6-0.
- Natalie Looney def. Milica Panic (Montana), 6-2 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 5, 2, 6, 3, 1
- Douglas/Looney def. Sulz/Orfanos (Montana), 6-4
- Thoms/Hucjkeby def. Dukic/Panic (Montana), 6-3
- Crawford/Runefelt vs. Joanlanne/Stuijt (Montana), 4-5 (UF)
Order of finish: 2, 1