MIAMI, Florida — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost its last non-conference match of the 2017 season, 4-0, to No. 24 FIU on Saturday in Miami, Florida. The Hawkeyes are now 11-3.
“It was tough to drop the match today,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “FIU was a good team and they competed hard.”
The Hawkeyes had three singles matches and a doubles match go unfinished on Saturday. The number one doubles paring of freshman Elise van Heuvelen and junior Zoe Douglas remains 10-1 after their match was cut short.
Juniors Montana Crawford and Douglas, and sophomore Kristen Thoms all fell in straight sets in their singles matches. The pairings of Crawford and Adorabol Huckleby, and Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun also fell in doubles play in the loss.
“I liked our training sessions this week,” said Schmid. “The team is looking forward to settling into Big Ten play the rest of the way this season.”
The Hawkeyes return to the court next weekend for a pair of Big Ten matches. Iowa faces Wisconsin on Friday at 5 p.m. (CT) in Madison, Wisconsin. The Hawkeyes then travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota, to face the Golden Gophers on Sunday at noon (CT).
- Elise van Heuvelen (Iowa) vs. #28 Andrea Lazaro (FIU), 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
- Maryna Veksler (FIU) def. Zoe Douglas (Iowa), 6-1, 6-0
- Kristen Thoms (Iowa) vs. Mina Markovic (FIU), 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
- Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa) vs. Nina Nagode (FIU), 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
- Ulyana Grib (FIU) def. Aimee Tarun (Iowa), 6-2, 6-2
- Gabriela Ferreira (FIU) def. Montana Crawford (Iowa), 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish 2, 6, 5
- Elise Heuvelen/Zoe Douglas (Iowa) vs. Nina Nagode/ Andrea Lazaro (FIU), 4-5 unfinished
- Ulyana Grib/Maryna Veksler (FIU) def. Montana Crawford/Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa), 6-2
- Mina Markovic/Gabriela Ferreira (FIU) def. Aimee Tarun/Natalie Looney (Iowa), 6-4
Order of finish 2, 3