IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No 40. Northwestern, 6-1, on Sunday. The Hawkeyes are now 13-5 (3-3).
“Credit Illinois and Northwestern they are both great teams,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “I think that we can build on this weekend. I don’t want the girls to accept this and hopefully I can keep them confident moving forward.”
Juniors Zoe Douglas, Anastasia Reimchen, and Montana Crawford all saw their matches go to three sets. Douglas picked up a win at the No. 2 position. She defeated Maddie Lipp in three sets, 3-6 7-6, 7-6.
Reimchen and Crawford both fell in three set decisions on the singles courts. The Hawkeyes lost to Rheeya Doshi and Alex Chatt at numbers three and five respectfully.
The Hawkeyes return to the court next weekend. Iowa faces No. 2 Ohio State on Friday at 6 p.m. (CT), and Penn State on Sunday at 10 a.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free.
#40 Northwestern 6, Iowa Hawkeyes 1
1. Erin Larner (NU) def. Elise van Heuvelen (IOWA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Maddie Lipp (NU) 3-6, 7-6, 7-6
3. Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
4. Lee Or (NU) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA) 6-0, 6-3
5. Alex Chatt (NU) def. Montana Crawford (IOWA) 6-2, 6-7, 6-0
6. Jillian Rooney (NU) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) 5-7, 7-5, 10-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 5, 3 ,2, 6
1. Maddie Lipp/Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Elise van Heuvelen/Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) 6-1
2. Erin Larner/Brooke Rischbieth (NU) def. Anastasia Reimchen/Montana Crawford (IOWA) 6-2
3. Zoe Douglas/Kristen Thoms (IOWA) vs. Alex Chatt/Lee Or (NU) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles 1, 2