EAST LANSING, Michigan — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost, 5-2 to Michigan State Sunday in East Lansing, Michigan. The Hawkeyes are now 15-9 (4-6).
“You have to give credit to Michigan State,” said UI head coach Sasha Schmid. “They played well and were tougher than us today.”
The match started with the Hawkeyes winning the doubles point. Juniors Kristen Thoms and Zoe Douglas defeated Samantha Memjie and Athena Trouillot, 6-4 at the No. 2 position.
For the second time in as many matches, the pairing of junior Montana Crawford and senior Aimee Tarun clinched the doubles point for Iowa. The No. 3 team defeated Lexi Baylis and Erin Faulkner, 6-2 to take the doubles point.
Freshman Elise van Heuvelen won the only singles match for the Hawkeyes. The freshman defeated Aslina Chua in straight sets, 6-3 6-1, at the No. 1 singles position.
Michigan State won five of the six doubles matches in straight sets to hand Iowa the, 5-2 loss.
The Hawkeyes return to the court next weekend for their last regular season match. Iowa hosts Nebraska on Saturday at noon (CT) at The Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Iowa will honor its seniors before the match begins. Admission is free.
Michigan State 5, Iowa Hawkeyes 2
1. Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Aslina Chua (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Emily Metcalf (MSU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Davina Nguyen (MSU) def. Montana Crawford (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Samantha Memije (MSU) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 4,5,3,1,6,2
1. Davina Nguyen/Emily Metcalf (MSU) vs. Adorabol Huckleby/Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) unfinished
2. Kristen Thoms/Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Samantha Memije/Athena Trouillot (MSU) 6-4
3. Montana Crawford/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Lexi Baylis/Erin Faulkner (MSU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,2