IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Nebraska, 4-3 on Saturday to end its regular season. The Hawkeyes won four singles matches to rally back and beat the Cornhuskers. Iowa finishes the regular season with an 16-8 (5-6) record, and has qualified for the Big Ten Tournament for the first time since 2014
“This was big. We were down 3-2, with two matches left and the girls pulled it off,” said UI assistant coach Drew Lied. “This shows that we can play with every team. Every match next week is going to close. It’s the Big Ten, it’s competitive, but this gives us some confidence moving forward.”
The Hawkeyes fought, but we unable to get a second win in doubles to take the doubles point. Nebraska’s Vasanti Shinde and M’Balia Bangoura won the deciding match on court three, 7-5, to clinch the doubles point.
Freshman Elise van Heuvelen got Iowa started on the singles courts. She defeated Vasanti Shinde in straight sets, 6-1 6-2, at the No. 1 position to make the match score, 2-1 in favor of Nebraska.
Sophomore Adorabol Huckleby tied the match with her win on court four. Huckleby defeated Mary Hanna in straight sets, 6-4 6-4, making the match score, 2-2.
Junior Zoe Douglas won in a third set tiebreaker to win on court 2. She defeated Claire Reifeis, 6-2 0-6 7-6 tying the match at 3-3.
The deciding match came down to junior Kristen Thoms and M’Balia Bangoura on court five. Despite dropping the first match, Thoms was able to come back and defeat Bangoura 6-7, 7-5, 6-0, to win the match for the Hawkeyes.
Iowa returns to court next week as they begin postseason play. The Big Ten Tournament is set to run from Wednesday, April 27 until Sunday, April 30 in Champaign, Illinois. Brackets and match information will be released Sunday after the conclusion of Big Ten regular season play.
Tennis Match Results
Iowa Hawkeyes 3, Nebraska 3
1. Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) def. Claire Reifeis (NEB) 6-2, 0-6, 7-6
3. Paula Del Cueto Cast (NEB) def. Montana Crawford (IOWA) 6-4, 6-3
4. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) def. Mary Hanna (NEB) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kristen Thoms (IOWA) def. M’Balia Bangoura (NEB) 6-7, 7-5, 6-0
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,6,4,3,2, 5
1. Elise van Heuvelen/Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) def. Mary Hanna/Paula Del Cueto Cast (NEB) 6-3
2. Hayley Haakenstad/Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Zoe Douglas/Kristen Thoms (IOWA) 6-4
3. Vasanti Shinde/M’Balia Bangoura (NEB) def. Montana Crawford/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles: 2, 1, 3