WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team concluded its season today at the Big Ten Tournament with a 4-0 loss to Penn State in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament held at the Schwartz Tennis Center on Purdue University’s campus.
In singles competition, senior Robin Haden was leading, 6-4, 6-5, over Aws Laaribi in his final competition as a Hawkeye before Penn State clinched the match. Sophomore Jonas Larsen’s match at No. 3 was heading to a third set, while junior Jake Jacoby was trailing in the second set when the match ended. Redshirt freshman Kareem Allaf (6-4, 6-1), Josh Silverstein (6-3, 7-5), and Jason Kerst (6-1, 6-1) lost their singles matches.
The Hawkeyes began the match by dropping the doubles point with losses at one (6-4) and two (6-3).
Iowa finished the 2017 season with a 14-15 overall record and 2-10 in conference play.
PENN STATE 4, IOWA 0
1. C. De La Bassetiere (PSU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-4, 6-1
2. Christian Lakoseljac (PSU) def. #115 Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-3, 7-5
3. C. Antonopoulos (PSU) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): 2-6, 6-4, unfinished
4. Aws Laaribi (PSU) vs. Robin Haden (UI): 4-6, 5-6, unfinished
5. Ben Lieb (PSU) vs. Jake Jacoby (UI): 7-6 (7-1), 4-1, unfinished
6. Marc Collado (PSU) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2
1. De La Bassetiere/Lakoseljac (PSU) def. Haden/Jacoby (UI): 6-4
2. Antonopoulos/Kohan (PSU) def. Allaf/Silverstein (UI): 6-3
3. Lutschaunig/Dolidze (PSU) vs. Hallestrand/Larsen (UI): 5-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1