IOWA CITY, Iowa — Senior goalkeeper Katie Jones and the 25th-ranked University of Iowa field hockey team shut out No. 24 Ohio State, 1-0, on Senior Day at Grant Field on Sunday afternoon. The victory marked Iowa’s first over a ranked opponent this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both sides showed strong defensive in the match only allowing a combined 15 shots. The Hawkeyes broke the defensive battle in the 33rd minute. Freshman Maddy Murphy tipped Katie Birch’s penalty corner shot past the Ohio State goalkeeper to give Iowa the lead. The Hawkeyes displayed solid defense in the second half only allowing two shots and turning away two penalty corners. The Buckeyes pulled their goalie in the 61st minute, but were unable to break the Iowa defense, and the Hawkeyes held on for the 1-0 victory.
QUOTING HEAD COACH LISA CELLUCCI
“We have a young team and we are finally starting to put it together. In the last two weeks of practice we’ve had a great sense of urgency, focus, and great execution. I think that’s what has carried over into our game plan.”
- Iowa concludes the regular season with a 7-10 overall record and a 3-5 mark in conference action.
- Seven of Iowa’s 10 losses have come to top-25 teams.
- Senior Melissa Progar finished the regular season with a career-high 13 points (two goals and nine assist). Senior Mallory Lefkowitz concluded the regular season with three goals and one assist for seven points.
- Senior Taylor Omweg tallied two goals and two assists in her final season as a Hawkeye and senior Lucie Daman registered eight assists.
- Senior Katie Jones registered her third shutout of the season and the fourth of her career.
- The Hawkeyes improved to 18-5 when playing Ohio State at Grant Field.
UP NEXT FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Big Ten Quarterfinals begin on Oct. 28. The quarterfinals will be hosted by the top four teams in the Big Ten.