ANN ARBOR, Michigan — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to No. 12 Michigan, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon at the Michigan Varsity Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes dropped the doubles point for the first time in four matches. Sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen, defeated the No. 1 pair from Michigan, 6-3, registering their third straight win. Freshmen Will Davies and Piotr Smietana fell to the Wolverines’ No. 2 doubles squad, 6-3. Senior Jake Jacoby and freshman Joe Tyler lost their doubles match on court three, 6-2.
Michigan jumped out to a 5-0 lead in singles action, winning on courts one through three and six. Allaf won in straight sets (6-1, 6-4), improving his record to a perfect 5-0 on court four against Big Ten opponents this season. The victory was also Allaf’s seventh straight since April 1. In the final match of the day, Larsen battled to the end, but ultimately fell, 7-6, 6-3, against Michigan’s Davis Crocker on court five.
Iowa visits Michigan State tomorrow in the Big Ten regular season finale at 11 a.m. (CT) in East Lansing, Michigan.
#12 Michigan 6, Iowa 1
April 21, 2018 | 11 a.m. (CT) | Ann Arbor, Michigan | Michigan Varsity Tennis Center
1. Alex Knight (UM) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-2, 6-4
2. Runhao Hua (UM) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-1, 6-1
3. Myles Schalet (UM) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-1, 6-1
4. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Mattias Siimar (UM): 6-1, 6-4
5. Davis Crocker (UM) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 7-6(3), 6-3
6. Kristofer Siimar (UM) def. Will Davies (UI): 6-1, 6-4
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Johnson/Schalet (UM): 6-3
2. Hua/Siimar (UM) def. Smietana/Davies (UI): 6-3
3. Knight/Brown (UM) def. Tyler/Jacoby (UI): 6-2
Iowa: 14-14 (3-7)
#12 Michigan: 18-4 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,6,1,4,5)