Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | B1G Match Play Rd 3 Results | B1G Match Play Rd 4
PALM COAST, Fla. — The University of Iowa men’s golf team earned six individual victories and earned a team victory against Minnesota on the par-72 Conservatory Course on the final day of the Big Ten Match Play Championships. Iowa finished the tournament in 12th place.
Ohio State took the team crown, while Maryland and No. 27 Illinois round out the top three spots.
In round three, the Hawkeyes matched up against Rutgers where they earned two individual victories. Iowa ultimately fell to the Scarlet Knights, 4-2.
Junior Alex Schaake earned a 5-and-4 victory against Rutgers’ Tony Jiang. Sophomore Jake Rowe topped Scarlet Knight Jack Doherty, 5-and-4.
The Hawkeyes closed the tournament on a high note, earning a 4.5-1.5, victory over Minnesota. Iowa earned four individual victories in the final round from Schaake, Rowe, junior Benton Weinberg, and senior Matthew Walker.
Schaake and Rowe each earned their second individual win of the day. Schaake topped Golden Gopher Angus Flanagan, 3-and-1. Rowe defeated Minnesota’s Will Grevlos, 1-up.
Weinberg bested Minnesota’s Thomas Longbella, 5-and-4, for his second individual victory of the tournament.
Walker got his second individual win of the tournament after a 4-and-3 victory over the Golden Gopher’s Riley Johnson. The victory gives him a Big Ten Match Play record of 12-3-1.
Round 3: Rutgers 4, Iowa 2
- Alex Schaake (UI) def. Tony Jiang (RUT), 5-and-4
- Oliver Whatley (RUT) def. Gonzalo Leal Montero (UI), 1-up
- Bobby Weise (RUT) def. Aaron DeNucci (UI), 3-and-2
- Shayler Dance (RUT) def. Matthew Walker (UI), 1-up
- Chris Gotterup (RUT) def. Benton Weinberg (UI), 3-and-2
- Jake Rowe (UI) def. Jack Doherty (RUT), 5-and-4
Round 4: Iowa 4.5, Minnesota 1.5
- Aaron DeNucci (UI) drew Evan Long (MINN), AS
- Alex Schaake (UI) def. Angus Flanagan (MINN), 3-and-1
- Jake Rowe (UI) def. Will Grevlos (MINN), 1-up
- Noah Rasinski (MINN) def. Gonzalo Leal Montero (UI), 3-and-2
- Matthew Walker (UI) def. Riley Johnson (MINN), 4-and-3
- Benton Weinberg (UI) def. Thomas Longbella (MINN), 5-and-4
COACH STITH’S COMMENTS ON DAY 2
“”It was a tough and windy day, but we played much better, especially in the afternoon. We led early in most of the matches and that proved important.”
The Hawkeyes travel to Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, for the Puerto Rico Classic, Feb. 17-19.