Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | Hawk Talk Monthly — January | Big Five Notes
The University of Iowa women’s gymnastics team travels to Toledo, Ohio, to compete in the Big Five Meet inside the Huntington Center on Friday, Feb. 22. Iowa will compete against Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, and Maryland.
- Saturday’s meet will be live streamed on FloGymnastics, subscription required.
- Live stats throughout the season can be found on hawkeyesports.com/wgymlive.
BIG FIVE MEET
- There are two sessions in the Big Five Meet.
- The first session is on Friday, which Iowa is competing in vs. Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, and Maryland.
- The second session has Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Rutgers, which competes on Saturday evening.
- The top three teams in each session earn a birth to the evening session at the Big Ten Championships.
SCOUTING SESSION 1
- Nebraska is 4-3 overall, 3-2 in conference. Third in the Big Ten standings and 15th in the latest Road to Nationals Poll (2/18).
- Nebraska’s high score on the season is 197.250, with its average being 195.975.
- Penn State is 3-5 overall, 1-4 in conference. Seventh in the Big Ten standings and 24th in the latest national poll.
- Penn State’s high score on the season is 196.755 and its average being 195.296.
- Michigan State is 2-7 overall, 1-4 in conference. Ninth in the Big Ten standings and 43rd in the latest national poll.
- Michigan State’s high score of the season is 195.425, with its average being 194.332.
- Maryland is 5-3 overall, 2-3 in conference. Sixth in the Big Ten standings and 32nd in the latest national poll.
- Maryland’s high score on the season is 195.950, with its average being 194.813.
GYMHAWKS NOTCH SEASON HIGH
- The GymHawks earned a season-high team score (195.400) and event season-highs on bars (49.200) and floor (49.400) on Saturday, Feb. 16, vs. Illinois inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- Three GymHawks earned 9.900s on floor — Erin Castle, Clair Kaji, and Lauren Guerin — while the other three GymHawks earned 9.850s — Charlotte Sullivan, Bridget Killian, and Allie Gilchrist.
- Senior Nicole Chow earned a season best on vault of 9.700.
- The GymHawks earned two 9.900’s on bars from Jax Kranitz, a career best, and Nicole Chow tied a career best.
- Sophomore Erin Castle scored a career best of 9.750 on vault.
- Sullivan tied a season best of 9.800 on vault.
- Also on vault freshman Lauren Guerin tied a season and career best of 9.750.
- Sophomore Emma Hartzler earned a season best of 9.800 on bars.
- The GymHawks earned a` season high score of 195.400 vs. Illinois.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin earned her second 9.900 of her collegiant career vs. Illinois on floor.
- Iowa earned a score of 195.375 vs. No. 10 Michigan.
- The GymHawks are ranked 35th in the country on beam, according to the latest Road to Nationals Poll (2/18).
- Iowa is ranked 30th on bars according to the most recent Road to Nationals Poll (2/18).
- The GymHawks are ranked 33rd on floor in the latest Road to Nationals Poll (2/18).
- The GymHawks defeated Rutgers on Jan. 26, 194.575-191.625.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin won floor against Rutgers with a 9.875.
- Freshman Bridget Killian won two events against Rutgers – beam (9.725) and vault (9.750).
- Senior Nicole Chow won bars against Rutgers with a score of 9.900
- The GymHawks beat SEMO in their home opener Jan. 11, 194.700-180.925.
- Head Coach Larissa Libby is entering her 15th season as head coach and 19th year overall.
- In 2018, Libby led the GymHawks to their 18th NCAA appearance with a No.33 national ranking and a 13-win season.
- Libby coached Charlotte Sullivan to being named on the All-Championship team.
- During the regular season Libby coached three GymHawks–Lanie Snyder, Nikki Youd, and Nicole Chow– to second team All-Big Ten honors.
- Libby takes pride in her GymHawks outside the gym as well. In 2018, a record 11 gymnasts received Academic All-Big Ten honors.
CHOW, SULLIVAN NAMED T0 B1G WATCH LIST
- Senior Nicole Chow and junior Charlotte Sullivan were named to the 2019 Big Ten Women’s Gymnasts to Watch List.
- Chow enters her senior season after being named second team All-Big Ten in the 2018 season. She earned four beam titles and one all-around title. Chow competed in every meet last season and saw all-around action in nine of Iowa’s 12 meets. At the Big Ten Championships, Chow set career-highs on vault (9.850) and all around (39.325), placing fourth and sixth, respectively.
- Sullivan, a returning junior, competed in the all-around in every meet during the 2018 season. She was named to the All-Championship team at the Big Ten Championships. She placed third on vault with a career-high (9.875) and placed eighth in the all-around (39.275).
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa gymnastics program and access to exclusive coverage, “like” Iowa Women’s Gymnastics on Facebook and follow @IowaGymnastics on Twitter, and Instagram.
The GymHawks will have posters, magnets, and schedule cards available for free at all meets throughout the season.
Parking is FREE for the home meets. Fans are encouraged to park in Lot 46, the parking lot connected to Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- The GymHawks host Iowa State on Friday, March 1, at 6:30 p.m. inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena for the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series.
- It will be senior night and the GymHawks will recognize their five seniors after the meet.