LUBBOCK, Texas — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell to No. 38 Texas Tech, 5-2, on Sunday at the Falls Tennis and Athletic Club.
In doubles play, Iowa dropped the point for just the third time this season. On court one, Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen were defeated by the eighth-ranked duo in the country, 6-1. Nikita Snezhko and Joe Tyler dropped their match on court three (6-2) to give the Red Raiders the point. Allaf and Larsen lost to nationally-ranked opponents on courts one and two, respectively.
Iowa won two out of the six singles matches. Freshman Oliver Okonkwo continued his stellar play, winning on court three (7-6, 7-5). Sophomore Will Davies cruised to a straight sets victory on court five over Texas Tech’s Artem Kapshuk (6-1, 6-3). Both Okonkwo and Davies have each won nine singles matches this spring to share the team lead.
The Hawkeyes return home for a match against in-state rival Drake on Friday at 6 p.m. (CT) at the HTRC. Admission is free.
#38 Texas Tech 5, Iowa 2
Mar. 3, 2019 | 9 a.m. (CT) | Lubbock, Texas | Falls Tennis and Athletic Club
1. #114 Tommy Mylnikov (TTU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-3, 6-2
2. #115 Parker Wynn (TTU) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-2, 6-2
3. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Ilgiz Valiev (TTU): 7-6, 7-5
4. Bjorn Thomson (TTU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 7-6 (74), 7-6(6)
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Artem Kapshuk (TTU): 6-1, 6-3
6. Franco Ribero (TTU) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-2, 6-7(8), 10-8
1. #8 Thomson/Wynn (TTU) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-1
2. Cobb/Mylnikov (TTU) vs. Okonkwo/Davies (UI): unfinished
3. Leite/Valiev (TTU) def. Tyler/Snezhko (UI): 6-2
#38 Texas Tech: 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)