FORT MYERS, Florida- The University of Iowa women’s tennis dropped its match to Furman, 5-2, on Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Hawkeyes dropped the doubles point to start the match. The teams of Sophie Clark and Ashleigh Jacobs, and Cloe Ruette and Danielle Bauers were both defeated, 6-3.
Iowa was 2-4 in singles, with two losses decided in the third set.
Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell competed at the No.1 singles position for the first time this season. Treadwell grabbed a victory against over No. 50 Katarina Kozarov, 6-4, 6-4.
“I’m really proud of Elise and her win today over a great player,” said Iowa head coach Sasha Schmid. “Elise is a great example of someone working hard to improve each match and today she got a great nationally ranked singles win.”
Ashleigh Jacobs grabbed a singles victory of her own in a win over Taylor Melville Taylor, 6-4, 6-3.
QUOTING HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“We played well at most positions and unfortunately needed to turn two more matches and fell short. Today was a hard fought match in the heat today. It’s important for us to keep marching forward and competing hard as we mature with each match. I’m really proud of Elise and her win today over a great player. Elise is a great example of someone working hard to improve each match and today she got a great nationally ranked singles win.”
The Hawkeyes return to action Sunday morning against Florida Gulf Coast University.Match play is set to begin at 9:00 a.m. (CT).
Furman 5, Iowa 2
1. Samantha Mannix /Elise van Heuvelen (Iowa) vs Julia Adams/Katarina Kozarov (F), DNF
2. Madison Dillon/ Katty Weymouth (F) def. Sophie Clark/Ashleigh Jacobs (Iowa), 6-3
3. Carol Elizabeth Kerman/Taylor Melville (F) def. Cloe Ruette/Danielle Bauers (Iowa), 6-3
1. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (Iowa) def. #50 Katarina Kozarov (F), 6-4, 6-4
2. Katty Weymouth (F) def. Samantha Mannix (Iowa), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Julia Adams (F) def. Sophie Clark (Iowa), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ashleigh Jacobs (Iowa) def. Taylor Melville (F), 6-4, 6-3
5. Madison Dillon (F) def. Michelle Bacalla (Iowa), 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
6. Carol Kerman (F) def. Adorabol Huckleby (Iowa), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)