The University of Iowa women’s golf team heads to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, this week to host the Hawkeye-El Tigre Invitational.
- Thursday, March 21 — First Round — tee times range from 1-2:50 p.m. (CT)
- Friday, March 22 — Second Round — tee times range from 1-2:50 p.m. (CT)
- Saturday, March 23 — Third Round — tee times range from 1-2:50 p.m. (CT)
- Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on GolfStat.com.
- Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 12 teams (Golfstat Relative Rankings): Arizona, BYU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Grand Canyon, Idaho, Kennesaw State, Troy, UMKC, UT-Chattanooga and UT-Knoxville.
Freshman Manuela Lizarazu, sophomore Brett Permann, freshman Dana Lerner, senior Kristin Glesne and sophomore Stephanie Herzog will compete for the Hawkeyes. Junior Sophie Liu, senior Shawn Rennegarbe and sophomore Annalee Dannegger will compete as individuals.
- The El Tigre Golf Club was designed by Robert von Hagge, Michael Smelek and Rick Baril.
- This is a tropical style course that features 12 holes with water, five “beach” bunkers, and bermuda grass.
HISTORICALLY AT THE HAWKEYE-EL TIGRE INVITE
- This will be Iowa’s third time hosting the event.
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe tied for 21st last year after finishing with a 54-hole score of 225 (+9).
- Sophomore Sophie Liu had the best individual finish for the Hawkeyes in 2017, tying for 24th with a three-round score of 223 (+7).
LIZARAZU LEADS IOWA
- Freshman Manuela Lizarazu led Iowa at the Wildcat Invitational on March 11-12. Lizarazu finished with a 54-hole score of 227 (+11), tying for 22nd.
- Lizarazu jumped up 18 spots on the leaderboard during the final round at the Wildcat Invitational. She carded three birdies on the front nine in the third round, finishing one-over-par.
- Lizarazu led the Hawkeyes at the Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 24-25 in Peoria, Arizona. Lizarazu notched a season-best, three-round score of 218 (+2), tying for 35th. She finished the third round one-under -par with four birdies.
TEAM FALL RECAP
- The Hawkeyes won the team title at the Diane Thomason Invitational on Sept. 30, carding a 54-hole score of 898 (+34).
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe was named the Big Ten Golfer of the Week after placing first at the Diane Thomason Invitational on Sept. 29-30. Rennegarbe registered a 54-hole total of 221 (+5; 79, 73, 69) to claim medalist honors for the first time in her career.
- Freshman Manuela Lizarazu registered a career-high finish (3rd) after shooting one-under-par in the first round at the Diane Thomason Invitational. She carded a three-round total of 223 (+7).
- Senior Kristin Glesne placed fourth – a career-best — registering a three-round score of 226 (+10).
- Manuela Lizarazu lead the Hawkeyes at the Battle at the Beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, on Nov. 2-4, tying for 19th with a 54-hole score of 219 (+6).
- Lizarazu finished the first round with a season-best, 18-hole score of 70 (-1) in the first round. She registered four birdies on the front-nine en-route to a three-over-par third finish.
- Sophomore Sophie Liu carded a season-best 72 in the third round to climb up 10 spots from the second round. She tied for 69th. Liu also recorded a new career-low, 54-hole score of 231 (+18).
RENNEGARBE’S STRONG FALL
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe claimed co-medalist honors at the Diane Thomason Invitational on Sept. 29-30 with a 54-hole score of 221 (+5), shooting a 69 (-3) in the final round. Rennegarbe earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week for her play in the Diane Thomason Invitational.
- The senior registered career bests for 18-holes (69, -3) and 54-holes 221 (+5), earning a career best finish with co-medalist honors.
- The Addieville, Illinois, native earned the top individual finish in two of the team’s five fall events. She tied for first at the Diane Thomason Invitational and tied for 24th at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational.
- Rennegarbe led the Hawkeyes with a 75.8 stroke average and a low-round of 69 (-3). She notched one top-10 and one top-20 finish.
TWO NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
- Two members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne– were named 2018-19 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
- Rennegarbe competed in all 10 competitions last season including a career-best finish at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, tying for 20th, with-round total of 225 (+9).
- Glesne competed in nine tournaments last season. She tied for 46th at the Big Ten Championships (April 20-22) with a three-round total of 227 (+11).
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Brett Permann, Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu to the 2018-2019 squad. Permann transferred from the University of Central Arkansas; Lerner is from Caesarea, Israel; Lizarazu is from Bogota, Colombia.
ON THE HORIZON
Iowa heads to Dallas, Texas, on April 1-2 to participate in the Bruzzy Challenge hosted by North Texas.
Fans can follow @iowawomensgolf on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest Hawkeye news.