ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Albuquerque, New Mexico to compete in the Branch Law Firm Invite Sept. 9-10.
Monday, Sept. 9 — First and Second Rounds — 7:30 a.m. (CT)
Tuesday, Sept. 10 — Final Round — 7:30 a.m. (CT) Awards immediately following play.
The field includes 15 teams: New Mexico, California-Davis, Colorado State, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa State, Kent State (11), Mississippi State, Mississippi, Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada Las Vegas, Nevada- Reno, Pepperdine, and San Diego State.
The Hawkeyes starting lineup include sophomore Dana Lerner, freshman Jacque Galloway, junior Stephanie Herzog, sophomore Manuela Lizarazu and freshman Morgan Goldstein.
Galloway, a native of New Mexico, returns to home for the tournament.
• The University of New Mexico Championship Course — Par 72 — 6,317 yards.
• The course is known for its long and wide stretched fairways, rolling and well-manicured greens, and the rough, loose desert sand, water, and sagebrush that surround the course.
• The University of New Mexico Championship Course was designed by Robert Lawrence.
HISTORICALLY AT THE BRANCH LAW FIRM INVITE
• In 2019 the Hawkeyes carded a 909 (+45) to finish 13th.
• Manuela Lizarazu carded three birdies and scored a one-over-par 73. Lizarazu tied for 70th overall and a three-round total of 230 (+14).
• Dana Lerner competed individually and tied for 63rd with a total of 228 (+12). She jumped 10 spots on the leaderboard in the third round, scoring a 73.
COMPETING WITH THE BEST
• Iowa will compete this week against Kent State, ranked in the top-25, according to NCAA.org.
• Kent State returns seven players from the previous season.
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
• Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — sophomore Manuela Lizarazu, freshmen Morgan Goldstein and Lea Zeitler — were named 2019 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Lizarazu competed in all 11 competitions last season including a career-best finish at the the Diane Thompson Invitational, placing 3rd, with a three-round total of 223 (+7).
• This season, the Hawkeyes welcome four newcomers — Jacquelyn Galloway, Lilly Gentzkow, Morgan Goldstein, and Lea Zeitler.
• Galloway is from Rio Rancho, New Mexico, Gentzkow from Willmette, Ill., Goldstein from Las Vegas, Nevada, Zeitler from Feicht/Meiming Tyrol, Austria.
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
• The 10-meet regular season schedule includes five invites during the fall and five invites during the spring season.
• The Hawkeyes will travel to Mexico twice. Iowa will compete at the Battle of the Beach Tournament in Cabo San Lucas on Nov. 1-3 before hosting the third-annual Hawkeye El-Tigre Invite in Puerto Vallarta on March 19-21.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team heads to Madison, Wisconsin to compete in the East West Match Play Sept. 22-24.