No. 8 University of Iowa field hockey hosts No. 10 Northwestern on Saturday at 12 p.m. (CT) on Grant Field for senior day. Admission is free.
FOLLOW ON THE WEB
• Iowa field hockey fans can follow all contests via live stats on hawkeyesports.com. Click on the “Live Stats” link found on the field hockey schedule page.
• Fans can also follow @IowaFieldHockey on Twitter for in-game updates.
• Saturday’s game will be streamed live on BTN+ (subscription).
• No. 6 Iowa took down Indiana in dominating fashion on Friday, posting a 6-1 victory over the Hoosiers in Bloomington.
• Iowa traveled south to Kentucky, facing another top-5 opponent in No. 5 Louisville. The Hawkeyes took Louisville to overtime, falling in the final minute 3-2.
• Against Indiana, junior Maddy Murphy collected her second career hat trick and Iowa’s third of the season. Iowa also totaled 19 shots, seven of which came in the first period.
• Against Louisville, Murphy put up her fourth goal of the weekend and tenth of the season. Sophomore Lokke Stribos moved up to second on the team in total goals (7) and junior Ellie Holley tied for second in total assists (8) with Murphy.
SCOUTING NORTHWESTERN (12-5, 4-2)
• Northwestern is now 12-5 (4-2) on the season, facing top-15 competition from No. 4 UConn (L, 1-4), No. 3 Duke (L, 1-2), No. 13 Boston College (W, 3-2), No. 15 Wake Forest (W, 2-0), No. 12 Ohio State (W, 4-1), No. 9 Michigan (W, 1-0), and No. 4 Maryland (L, 1-2).
• Redshirt freshman Bente Baekers leads the Wildcats and the Big Ten in goals (22), while also leading her team in total points. Redshirt senior Kristen Mansfield leads the team and Big Ten in assists with 14, and has recorded three goals on eight shots.
• The Wildcats have started goalkeeper junior Florien Marcussen in the net for all 17 games, where she has amassed 71 saves in over 1,000 minutes of play.
• Head Coach Tracey Fuchs is in her 11th season at the helm of the Northwestern field hockey program in 2019. She has compiled an impressive 132-75 record during her first decade in Evanston. The Wildcats have posted winning records in nine of the past 10 seasons.
• Fuchs is a NCAA champion both as a player and coach and has served as a leader on the United States National Team for nearly two decades. In April 2014, Fuchs was elected to the USA Field Hockey Hall of Fame.
IOWA VS. NORTHWESTERN — THE SERIES
• The Hawkeyes lead the series 53-25-4 all-time, holding a 24-8-2 record on Grant Field since 1977.
• Iowa’s last win against Northwestern came in 2016, when the Hawkeyes defeated the No. 9 Wildcats, 2-1, in Evanston, Illinois.
WHERE THEY’RE RANKED
• Iowa not only ranks eighth nationally, but holds high marks among statistical categories across the NCAA.
• Iowa holds top-ten stats in goals per game (7th), scoring margin (8th), scoring average (9th), total points per game (9th), and assists per game (9th).
• Iowa sits is tied for second in the Big Ten standings (5-1), and ranks second in shots (272), points (143), and goals (51) behind No. 2 Maryland. Iowa leads the conference in goals per game (3.40) and ranks second in assists (41) and assists per game (2.73) behind Maryland.
• Junior Maddy Murphy leads the team in goals (10), followed by sophomores Lokke Stribos (7), sophomore Anthe Nijziel and senior Katie Birch (6). Nine additional Hawkeyes have scored at least one goal.
• Birch leads the team and is tied for second in the Big Ten in assists (10), followed by Murphy (8) and Ellie Holley (8) who are tied for fourth among the conference.
• Murphy ranks third in the Big Ten in total points (28) and points per game (1.87).
• Three Hawkeyes have recorded hat tricks this season including Murphy, Sunderland, and Holley. Murphy tabbed her hat trick against Indiana in the 6-1 victory, Sunderland recorded hers in the 11-0 win against Central Michigan, and Holley’s was against Michigan State in Iowa’s 5-0 win.
• Senior goalkeeper Leslie Speight has 28 saves this season. Sophomore Grace McGuire recorded four saves in her start over No. 18 Rutgers.
The Big Ten Conference boasts six ranked programs in the latest 2019 Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll: No. 2 Maryland, No. 7 Michigan, No. 8 Iowa, No. 10 Northwestern, No. 18 Rutgers, and No. 22 Ohio State.
The Hawkeyes travel to Ann Arbor, Michigan for their final regular season matchup against the Wolverines on Sunday, November 3. The match takes place at 10 a.m. (CT) and will be streamed on BTN+.