IOWA CITY, Iowa — The GymHawks travel to Penn State to compete against the Nittany Lions on Saturday. The meet will begin at 3 p.m. (CT).
- Live stats throughout the season can be found on the women’s gymnastics schedule page on hawkeyesports.com
- Follow along with updates from @iowagymnastics on Twitter.
- Season tickets are available at hawkeyesports.com/tickets, by calling 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at the north entrance of Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- Season tickets are $30 and all seating is general admission. Youth ages 18 and under and UI students receive free admission to all regular season home meets.
- The GymHawks won their home opener with a 195.550 over Ball State (192.775) and Air Force (188.650) on Jan. 11.
- Sophomore Lauren Guerin earned a perfect 9.950 from one judge and a final score of 9.925 to set her new career best, tying for the ninth spot in the Iowa record book at the Critique Classic in Florida (Jan. 3).
- Sophomore Alex Greenwald earned a career-high 9.875 on bars on Jan. 11 against Air Force and Ball State University.
- The GymHawks set a season high 49.200 on floor at Maryland (Jan. 19) — Guerin led the Hawkeyes with a 9.950 to win the eventand set a new career-best score.
- Two Hawkeyes etched their names into the record book on Jan. 19 against Maryland. Sophomore Lauren Guerin scored a 9.950 on floor to tie for third all-time at Iowa and freshman Allyson Steffensmeier recorded a 9.925 on bars, tying for sixth in the records.
SCOUTING PENN STATE
- Penn State earned a 195.750 in their home opener against West Virginia (Jan. 11).
- The Nittany Lions are ranked No. 35 overall and 14th on bars, 36th on vault, 42nd on beam, and 46th on floor.
- Penn State set season-high team scores on vault (48.825) and floor (48.775), while junior Lauren Bridgens secured a career-high (9.925) on floor, winning the event title against Nebraska (Jan. 16).
GYMHAWK 2019 HIGHLIGHTS
- Larissa Libby is in her 16th season as head coach at Iowa and her 20th year overall.
- Iowa returns first team All-Big Ten honoree, Clair Kaji for her senior season, along with second team All-Big Ten honoree, sophomore Lauren Guerin.
- The Hawkeyes wrapped up their 2019 season at the NCAA Corvallis Regional with a score of 194.775, placing fourth in session two, but did not advance to the Regional final.
- Iowa scored a season high 196.450 at Elevate the Stage/Big Five Meet on Feb. 22, 2019.
- The GymHawks scored 195.400 versus Illinois on Feb. 16, scoring a 49.200 on bars and a season high of 49.400 on floor.
- At the Big Ten Championships, the GymHawks finished sixth with a team score of 196.075.
- Iowa finished the season ranked No. 31 overall in the final Road to Nationals Poll.
- The GymHawks add six freshmen to the 2020 season: Ariana Agrapides, Dani Castillo, JerQuavia Henderson, Ellie Rogers, Madelyn Solomon, and Allyson Steffensmeier.
- Agrapides is from Bayville, NJ and trained at Premier Gymnastics. She finished her high school career as 2019 State vault, floor, and all-around champion.
- Castillo is a Miami, Florida, native who competed at American Twister’s under coaches Gary Anderson and Christy Ramírez. She won the Region 8 all-around Championships (38.375) and was the state runner up during the 2019 season.
- Henderson comes from Peoria, Illinois, and trained at Gym Corner. In 2019, Henderson placed third in all-around at level 6/9/10 State Championship and was named Peoria Journal Star’s 2018 Central Illinois Best of Preps: Gymnast of the Year.
- Rogers — a native of Spotsylvania, Virginia — trained at Paragon Gymnastics. She was a regionals qualifier sophomore-senior year.
- Solomon comes from Waterloo, Iowa where she was trained by Kevin Crowley. Solomon was awarded United States Marines Distinguished Female Athletic Excellence Award in 2019.
- Steffensmeier — a native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa — rounds out the newcomers. She qualified for Junior Nationals three out of four years. In 2019, Steffensmeier claimed first place at Regionals in all-around with a score of 37.259.
- The GymHawks host Michigan State at Carver-Hawkeye arena on Feb. 1, 2020 at 7 p.m. (CT).
- Live results will be available at hawkeyesports.com/wgymlive.