PALM COAST, Fla. — The University of Iowa men’s golf team split two matches on Friday in the first day of Big Ten Match Play contested at the par-72 Hammock Beach Ocean Course.
The eighth-seeded Hawkeyes advanced past ninth-seeded Michigan in the first round by way of a tiebreaker after finishing even, 3-3. Iowa fell to top-seeded Northwestern, 4-1-1, in the afternoon.
Seniors Alex Schaake and Benton Weinberg, and freshman Mac McClear each notched individual victories over the Wolverines. McClear fired in three birdies and an eagle on his way to his first career match play victory.
The quarterfinals match against Northwestern was shortened to 14 holes due to darkness. After trailing most of the match, Weinberg birdied three of the final four holes to earn a victory over Northwestern’s John Driscoll. Senior Gonzalo Leal Montero also came from behind to clinch a tie in his match.
Round 1: Iowa 3, Michigan 3
- Alex Schaake (UI) def. Brent Ito (UM): 2-and-1
- Charlie Pilon (UM) def. Gonzalo Leal Montero (UI): 4-and-3
- Benton Weinberg (UI) def. Henry Spring (UM): 6-and-5
- Mac McClear (UI) def. Ben Dunne (UM): 4&3
- Pier Francesco De Col (UM) def. Matthew Garside (UI): 2-and-1
- Patrick Sullivan (UM) def. Jake Rowe (UI): 2-and-1
Quarterfinals: Northwestern 4.5, Iowa 1.5
- David Nyfjall (NW) def. Alex Schaake (UI): 3-and-2
- Gonzalo Leal Montero (UI) drew Eric McIntosh (NW): halved
- Benton Weinberg (UI) def. John Driscoll (NW): 1-up
- Everton Hawkins (NW) def. Mac McClear (UI): 3-and-2
- Yannick Artigolle (NW) def. Matthew Garside (UI): 6-and-4
- James Imai (NW) def. Jake Rowe (UI): 2-and-1
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH TYLER STITH…
“It was a tough day weather-wise, 20-25 mph winds all day. In the morning match against Michigan, we were led by wins from Alex, Benton, and Mac. In the afternoon, Northwestern started hot and we ran out of holes. We will refocus and be ready to play tomorrow. We have been working hard to prepare for this event and still have two matches remaining.”
The Hawkeyes will begin their third-round match at 7 a.m. (CT) against Michigan State. After that, the final round will begin at Noon (CT).