URBANDALE, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost to Iowa State on Friday afternoon at Life Time Fitness, 4-3, in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series.
Iowa State struck first taking the doubles point after winning at the number one and two positions. No. 45 Christin Hsieh and Thasaporn Naklo defeated Samantha Mannix and Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell, 6-1. Maty Cancini and Ting-Pei Chang defeated Michelle Bacalla and Danielle Burich, 6-1. Danielle Bauers and Ashleigh Jacobs defeated Chie Kezuka and Margarita Timakova, 6-1.
Splitting the six singles matches was enough for Iowa State to clinch victory. Bacalla tied things up for the Hawkeyes defeating Hsieh 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3. Cancini defeated Manix 7-6, 6-2 at No. 2 and Chang beat Jacobs 6-0, 3-6, 6-1 to put the Cyclones up 3-1.
Bauers pulled Iowa within a point, defeating Timakova in three sets at No. 6, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, and van Heuvelen Treadwell defeated No. 87 Naklo 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 to tie things up at 3-3.
On the last court to finish, Burich fell behind early in the third set and was never able to recover, falling to Kezuka 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Quoting Head Coach Sasha Schmid
“Just a tough difficult loss. Credit Iowa State, this match means so much to them and they really were fired up to play us tonight. All season long we have really struggled to get the double point. I just really have got to go back to work on that again. So many of these 4-3 matches. We were lucky enough to be able to get four singles after K-State, but when you put yourself in a position like that it’s hard. Hopefully, this will make us better and we will be stronger. These tough losses are definitely hardening us up, making us better. We’ve got to get ready for Big Ten play. We have UNI at home and then on to Big Ten play.”
The Hawkeyes face Northern Iowa on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 4 p.m. (CT) in Iowa City, Iowa.
Iowa State 4, Iowa 3
Feb. 28, 2020 | 4 p.m. | Urbandale, Iowa| Life Time Fitness
1. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (IOWA) def. #87 Thasaporn Naklo (ISU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Maty Cancini (ISU) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) def. Christin Hsieh (ISU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ting-Pei Chang (ISU) def. Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
5. Chie Kezuka (ISU) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Danielle Bauers (IOWA) def. Margarita Timakova (ISU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
1. #45 Naklo/Hsieh (ISU) def. van Heuvelen Treadwell/Mannix (IOWA) 6-1
2. Cancini/Chang (ISU) def. Bacalla/Burich (IOWA) 6-1
3. Bauers/Jacobs (IOWA) def. Kezuka/Timakova (ISU) 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,4,6,1,5)
Iowa State: 8-3