Columbus, Ohio — The University of Iowa men’s tennis fell to No. 22 Virginia, 4-0, on Friday in the opening round of the ITA Kickoff at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.
The match started with the Cavaliers edging the Hawkeyes for the doubles point. Iowa’s 17th-ranked doubles team of Oliver Okonkwo and Will Davies beat Soderlund/Woodall on court one (6-3). Kareem Allaf and Nikita Snezhko fell on court two (6-4), while Matt Clegg and Joe Tyler lost on court three (6-2).
Tyler, Okonkwo, and Snezhko fell in straight sets on courts two, three, and five respectively. Allaf, ranked 39th nationally, Davies, and Kerst’s matches went unfinished once the Cavaliers clinched the match.
Iowa is making is third ITA Kickoff appearance in four seasons.
Iowa will face Middle Tennessee State on Saturday, at 6:30 p.m. (ET) at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.
#22 Virginia 4, Iowa 0
Jan. 22, 2021 | 2 p.m. | Columbus, Ohio | Ty Tucker Tennis Center
1. #39 Kareem Allaf (UI) vs. #29 Carl Soderlund (UVA): 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
2. Ryan Goetz (UVA) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-1, 6-0
3. #106 Jeffery Von Der Schulenburg (UVA) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-3, 6-2
4. Will Davies (UI) vs. Inaki Montes (UVA): 1-6, 4-5, unfinished
5. Chris Roadesch (UVA) def. Nikita Snezhko (UI): 6-4, 6-1
6. Jason Kerst (UI) vs. Gianni Ross (UVA): 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. #17 Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. Soderlund/Woodall (UVA): 6-3
2. Roadesch/Goetz (UVA) def. Allaf/Snezhko (UI): 6-4
3. Schulenburg/Montes (UVA) def. Clegg/Tyler (UI): 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,3,5)