AUSTN, Texas — The University of Iowa women’s tennis fell to No. 20 Arizona State, 4-0, on Sunday on the second day of the ITA Kickoff at the Texas Tennis Center.
The match started with Arizona State earning the doubles point. Iowa’s Alexa Noel and Samantha Mannix fell to No. 50 ranked Ilze Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste, 6-4, at the No. 1 position. Danielle Bauers and Samantha Gilas fell at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, while Elise van Heuvelen and Michelle Bacalla were winning 6-5 at No. 2 before their match went unfinished.
In singles action, Samantha Mannix put up a fight but fell to M Argyrokastriti (6-4, 6-4) at the No. 5 spot. Samantha Gillas fell to Lauryn John-Baptiste (6-0, 6-3) at the No. 5 spot. Tereza Kolarova defeated Michelle Bacalla (6-0, 6-2) at the No. 6 spot to help the Sun Devils clinch the match win. Noel, ranked 97 nationally, was battling with No. 37 Ilze Hattingh (5-7, 0-2) at the No. 1 position before her match was terminated. Van Huevelen and Mehras matches went unfinished at No. 2 and No. 4, respectively. Mehrawas trailing 3-4 in the second set, and van Heuvelen was tied 4-4 to No. 115 Sammi Hampton in the second set.
“I think in terms of the match today, I was glad to see the progress from the doubles against Texas to today. I really think we made strides forward and improved in 24 hours and I think that is a credit to just having the opportunity to compete.”
• Freshman Alexa Noel and Vipasha Mehra made their collegiate debuts
• The Hawkeyes are making their second straight appearance at the ITA Kickoff Weekend, and their fourth in program history.
The B1G schedule is still being processed.
#20 Arizona State 4, Iowa 0
Jan. 24, 2021 | 10 a.m. | Austin, Texas | Texas Tennis Center
1. #97 Alexa Noel (I) vs. #37 Ilze Hattingh: 5-7, 0-2, unfinished
2. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (I) vs. #115 Sammi Hampton: 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
3. Lauryn John-Baptiste def. Samantha Gillas (I): 6-0, 6-3
4. Giulia Morlet (AS) vs. Vipsha Mehra (I): 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
5. M Argyrokastriti (AS) def. Samantha Mannix (I): 6-4, 6-4
6. Tereza Kolarova (AS) def. Michelle Bacalla (I): 6-0, 6-2
1. #50 Hattingh/John-Baptiste (AS) def. Noel/Mannix (I): 6-4
2. van Huevelen/ Bacalla (I) vs. Kolarova/Morlet (AS): 6-5, unfinished
3. Argyokastriti/Sammi (AS) def. Bauers/Gilas (I): 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,6,5)