WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team continued its roll through the Purdue Invite on Saturday with four singles wins and a would-be double point against Purdue at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
No team scores are being kept at the Purdue Invite.
The Hawkeyes opened the day winning two of three doubles matches. Alexa Noel and Samantha Mannix beat Ena Babic and Csilla Fodor,7-6, (5), at the top spot. Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell and Vipsha Mehra also came out with a win beating Nathalia Wolf Gasparin and Zala Dovnik, 6-2, at the No. 2 position, while Rut Galindo and Seira Shimizu beat Michelle Bacalla and Danielle Burich, 7-5.
The Hawkeyes followed with a win from No. 97 Alexa Noel against Purdue’s Ena Babic in a tie breaker, 6-3, 7-6, (4) at the top position. Samantha Mannix defeated Seira Shimizu, 6-1,6-2, at the No. 3 spot, while Samantha Gillas beat Zala Dovnik, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 4 position. Danielle Burich, at the No. 6 spot defeated Zeynep Naz Ozturk in a nail bitter, 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3.
Noel, Mannix and Burich won for the second time in as many days. Noel and Mannix also improved to 2-0 this weekend at the top doubles spot.
“Overall today was our best team performance as a group. I really felt it was important for us to come out and play well at doubles. It was hard fought, and a tiebreaker, which was a great experience. We needed to follow that up in singles and we had some pretty good starts. Purdue battled and we were pushed in some courts. Good day and excited to finish tomorrow against a good Illinois team.”
Iowa plays Illinois on Sunday at 9 a.m. for Day 3 of the Purdue Invitational.
NO TEAM SCORE
Jan. 30, 2021 | 2 p.m. | West Lafayette, Indiana | Schwartz Tennis Center
1. #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) def. Ena Babic (PUR) – 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Csilla Fodor (PUR) def. Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) – 6-0, 6-4
3. Samantha Mannix (IOWA) def. Seira Shimizu (PUR) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Samantha Gillas (IOWA) def. Zala Dovnik (PUR) – 6-3, 6-4
5. Rut Galindo (PUR) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) – 7-6 (5), 2-6, 6-4
6. Danielle Burich (IOWA) def. Zeynep Naz Ozturk (PUR) – 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3
1. Noel/Mannix (IOWA) def. Ena Babic/Csilla Fodor (PUR) – 7-6 (5)
2. Van Heurelen/Gillas (IOWA) def. Nathalia Wolf Gasparin/Zala Dovnik (PUR) – 6-2
3. Rut Galindo/Seira Shimizu (PUR) def. Bacalla/Burich (IOWA) – 7-5
EXTRA MATCHES VS. MICHIGAN STATE
Stephens (Michigan State) def. Vipasha Mehra (IOWA), 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
Tia Mukherjee (Michigan State) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
Bauers/Mehra (IOWA) def. Lemons/Szabo (Michigan State), 7-5